Air Video = Amazing app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Ever since the iPhone first came out, I waited for Apple to add this functionality to the iPod app, but today I discovered that there's an app for that. This app, combined with a server client that runs on your Mac or PC, allows you to stream videos from your computer to your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad (it's even a universal app, so it has a nice iPad interface) over your home network and even over 3g, with almost no configuration.

The app even allows you to play video files that are in a format that the iPhone does not recognize by converting them on the fly on your computer. Air video also supports subtitles.

I did not make the app, nor do I know the people who did, but I have long desired this functionality and I am sure there are people like me who feel the same. The app is $2.99 in the app store, and there is a free version you could download to try it out (trust me though, its well worth the $3).

Here is a link to a lifehacker article about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Better than Orb?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Grabbed it a couple days ago, but haven't had time to check it out yet. I'm hoping I can stream from my Windows Home Server.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.