Finder Behavior

zoz

Reaction score
Deleting (Cmd-Backspace) a file in finder shifts the focus to the enclosing folder. Is there any way (plugins, alternate file browser?) to make it focus on an adjacent file instead? (while having quicklook open). That would be an easy way to quickly browse through files and delete the ones you don't need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
If you use it in cover flow , the cmd-backspace doesn't revert back to the enclosing folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Deleting (Cmd-Backspace) a file in finder shifts the focus to the enclosing folder. Is there any way (plugins, alternate file browser?) to make it focus on an adjacent file instead? (while having quicklook open). That would be an easy way to quickly browse through files and delete the ones you don't need.

I just tested out that behavior in coverflow view mode, and using CMD-DELETE to move a file to the trash does not move the focus to the enclosing folder for me… it focuses on the next file. I'm not entirely certain as to why you are having a different experience. The command to shift focus to an enclosing folder is CMD-Up Arrow. Have you remapped any key functions, or such?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Aw. Use the mouse. ;)

OP
Z

zoz

Reaction score
Welcome to Mac Forums
If you use it in cover flow , the cmd-backspace doesn't revert back to the enclosing folder

What do you mean? It doesn't revert to the enclosing folder because there is no enclosing folder like in the column view. But if just takes the focus away, instead of focusing on adjacent files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
What do you mean? It doesn't revert to the enclosing folder because there is no enclosing folder like in the column view. But if just takes the focus away, instead of focusing on adjacent files.

You want to delete files from a folder without it reverting back to the enclosing folder every time you delete a file...... well, that's how you do it!

What is it that you want to do? Is it that you want to select more than one file that aren't grouped for deletion? ....if so, hold command while you click on each file that you want to select, and then use your command backspace.

If we are missing what it is that you want do here, I think you're going to have to explain it again.

OP
Z

zoz

Reaction score
You want to delete files from a folder without it reverting back to the enclosing folder every time you delete a file...... well, that's how you do it!

What is it that you want to do? Is it that you want to select more than one file that aren't grouped for deletion? ....if so, hold command while you click on each file that you want to select, and then use your command backspace.

If we are missing what it is that you want do here, I think you're going to have to explain it again.

Sorry I wasn't being clear. What I really want is that, after I select a file and cmd-backspace to delete, the focus moves to the next file instead of disappearing (like in cover flow mode) or moving to the enclosing folder ( in column mode ) such that when 1)I press cmd-delete again, the next file in the sequence (whichever order the files are currently arranged by) will be deleted 2)I can press up and down arrows to navigate to files adjacent to the one I just deleted 3) If I had quicklook on while I cmd-backspaced the file, the next file comes into focus and quicklook switches to a preview of that file.

The reason I need to do the above (especially #3) instead of just group selecting files to delete is that I want to take a look of each file before I decide deleting or not (such as when going through a list of wallpapers and deleting undesirable ones). Cover flow does provide the preview I need, but it's not as big as quicklook's preview, and I have to manually find position of the list I was on right after I delete a file in order to continue the process. I could use something like Xee for this instead, but quicklook would be better as it handles all file types.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can do exactly what you want in coverflow view.

You have the option to use Quicklook in Coverflow the same as list or column view.
you can use the arrow keys to move from file to file and stay in quicklook.
You can delete a file while it is open in quicklook and the next file or folder in the list will auto open in quicklook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In cover flow mode it does move to the next file in sequence, so I see this as the solution.
I understand that in quicklook, it reverts back, and makes it a problem if wanting to select multiple items to delete, so, if you put the finder to full screen when you are doing this, and drag down the viewer, you get a pretty good glimpse at what the files are.

I am using a 13" MB, and even with this screen, I have a clear enough view of what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You have the option to use Quicklook in Coverflow the same as list or column view.
You can delete a file while it is open in quicklook and the next file or folder in the list will auto open in quicklook.

When I try what you've suggested, it reverts back to the containing folder, unless I have quicklook open, but use finder in coverflow mode to delete the items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been a bit baffled by the replies in this thread. I finally realized in my first reply, I thought the OP was using coverflow rather than quicklook. I think I got thrown off by 6string's screencap and how his reply got broken up by the screencap. Ooops! :Oops:

I just experimented with this. The first time I tried this, the focus reverted to the enclosing folder. The second time and onwards… it focused on the next file, unless it was the last file. I can't figure out why it didn't work this way the first time, but it has been consistent since.

Zaz… if you are using this with pictures, then it may be simpler to use a graphics viewer called Xee. Opening one file will queue all files in that folder for viewing; you can still use CMD-DELETE to delete the file you are viewing and the focus will shift to the next file.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have been using this method for a long time for manually cleaning. I have a lot of in and out junk on mine. A mixture of pdf owners manuals, pics and all sorts of stuff. Seems I'm always experimenting with something.

If not working, I'm not sure why. Would probably just try a reboot or moving the Finder plist file to the desktop and try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first time I tried this, the focus reverted to the enclosing folder. The second time and onwards… it focused on the next file, unless it was the last file. I can't figure out why it didn't work this way the first time, but it has been consistent since.
Now I'm a bit baffled!
When you say, "the first time I tried this, the focus reverted to the enclosing folder. The second time and onwards… it focused on the next file, unless it was the last file", was this using Quick Look?
I tried numerous times with Quick Look, and it kept reverting back to the enclosing folder!
Even tried it again after reading this post.
Have I misread this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little experimenting just now. Found if I scroll through Coverflow and use the Quicklook shortcut from Coverflow without clicking on an item in the list, it does go back to the enclosing folder.

If you click an item in the list, then use Quicklook, it goes to the next item.

A little strange, but I was able to duplicate both scenarios.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to add to that, after posting and seeing bobtomay's post, I just removed the plist, logged out and back in, and still no change. ARGH:Shouting:
I hope I missing something, as this is really frustrating now (and this wasn't an issue before, until this thread, but now I need to know).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I'm a bit baffled!
When you say, "the first time I tried this, the focus reverted to the enclosing folder. The second time and onwards… it focused on the next file, unless it was the last file", was this using Quick Look?
I tried numerous times with Quick Look, and it kept reverting back to the enclosing folder!
Even tried it again after reading this post.
Have I misread this?

You have to start off in coverflow viewing. While in coverflow, press the space bar to do a quicklook. Then when deleting a file while the quicklook is up, the focus will switch to the next file in the quicklook popup.

EDIT: Bobtomay figured it out. You have to select something in the list first while in Coverflow before you hit Quicklook. Gawd… my head is spinning now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A little experimenting just now. Found if I scroll through Coverflow and use the Quicklook shortcut from Coverflow without clicking on an item in the list, it does go back to the enclosing folder.

You have to start off in coverflow viewing. While in coverflow, press the space bar to do a quicklook. Then when deleting a file while the quicklook is up, the focus will switch to the next file in the quicklook popup.

EDIT: Bobtomay figured it out. You have to select something in the list first while in Coverflow before you hit Quicklook. Gawd… my head is spinning now!

Phew! Even though my head hurts now, and I'm sorry for hurting yours ....Finally got there, so its a combination of both of those.

If in coverflow, even with an item selected, you must use the space bar to activate Quicklook in order to delete an item without it reverting back to the enclosing folder.

-Using the Quicklook tab at the top of the finder window, even with an item selected, will revert back after deleting an item.
-right clicking to Quicklook reverts back to the enclosing folder after deleting an item.

Bizarre, complicated, but we got there! LOL

Thanks heaps guys :)

OP
Z

zoz

Reaction score

This works (only in coverflow), but seems like a very fragile approach. You can open quicklook, click on an item in the coverflow previews, keep doing cmd-backspace and the focus will remain on successive files. However, as soon you navigate around the files with up and down arrow keys, you are not able to retain the effect without having to click on another file in the coverflow previews. I don't even know why it is so inconsistent. Maybe they intended you to use the mouse only? That's why I'm wondering if there are third party plugins. Since the 'feature' exists, but is just not activated most of the time.

Edit: Correction to the above statement: if you pause long enough after having navigated to a new file with the arrow keys, you can retain the effect. If you cmd-space immediately after navigating to the new file, you lose focus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.