Q's 4 graphic designer: what program to use?

Reaction score
hi! i have question for graphic designers on what programs are used to make cupcake toppers similar to the attached picture. i'm a stay at home mom and would like to learn how to make these for my son's upcoming birthday party. can you please tell me what computer programs can be used?

thank-you!

cupcaketoppers.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I'm not a graphic designer per se, but I think I can give you a hand nonetheless. If I'm not wrong, these are just pictures or text on top of a pattern?

You've got pretty much unlimited options.

On the free end, there's the G.I.M.P. (Gnu Image Manipulation Program, not that you need to know in particular). Like I said, it doesn't cost a cent, but it's fairly difficult to use, especially for a beginner, so I wouldn't recommend it.

There are some great options for under $100 that give you a lot of features.

Acorn is around $50 and is super easy to use. I haven't used it a whole lot myself, but I've heard great things about it.

Climbing the price ladder to $60, you find yourself at Pixelmator. I used it as a holdover while Photoshop didn't agree with my computer, and I was blown away. It's got loads of functionality and a very simple interface to pick up.

Photoshop Elements is at the top end of the sub-$100 programs ($80). It's the little brother of Photoshop, and maintains a lot of the functionality. It does come with a bit of a hefty price tag though (at least for what you've described), but if you plan on doing anything else like this in the future, it might be a good investment.

Any of these options should get the job done, and all of them come with free trials so you can test each out (or do your project if you don't want to pay :p ). I'm sure they can also be had for cheaper on Amazon or elsewhere, so do a quick Google before clicking Buy.
My personal recommendation would be Pixelmator; it's the perfect blend of price and performance, and it's a ton of fun.

Hope this is helpful, and feel free to PM me or post in the forums again if you need any help with the project itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i would use either photoshop or illustrator to make what you have post in the picture.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
I prefer illustrator.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 Gigs of ram
vector base is the way to go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you cannot afford Illustrator, then the open source InkScape will help you create proper vector art for that

Inkscape. Draw Freely.

Reaction score
hello

The term graphic design can refer to a number of artistic and professional disciplines which focus on visual communication and presentation. Various methods are used to create and combine symbols, images and/or words to create a visual representation of ideas and messages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
The term graphic design can refer to a number of artistic and professional disciplines which focus on visual communication and presentation. Various methods are used to create and combine symbols, images and/or words to create a visual representation of ideas and messages

Great definition

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.