Airport and WiFi security

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
Greetings,

I am using my Mac Mini as a wireless router for a LAN. The Mac is connected to the internet via a Sprint broadband card. I have two PCs that connect to the Mac and thru the Mac to the internet.

This local wireless network is not presently secured. How do I secure this LAN to exclude outsiders?

My nearest neighbor is 100 to 200 yards away, could someone else receive my wireless network at that range?

Should the LAN be encrypted? If so, which encryption setting should I use?

I don't do any sensitive online work with the PCs and I shut off the Airport when I do banking or credit card stuff on the Mac.

Thanks for any advice,

Larry H

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even if your nearest neighbor is 200 yards away, it's possible for the signal to be picked up. (Hi gain receiving antennas for wifi are easily obtainable.)

As for encryption, yes, I definitely would use it and I would use the strongest available. WPA2 if possible.

As far as securing your wifi, I imagine you'll have to do that through your Sprint broadband card since you're not using a router.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of broadband card is it? If it is pccard, express card or USB - you could get yourself a proper router from cradlepoint. I tend to buy mine from the 3gstore
3Gstore.com, Mobile Broadband Made Easy. CradlePoint Routers, MiFi, Antennas, Amplifiers and Verizon & Sprint EVDO Modems.
I have a verizon mifi 2200 and I use it standalone most of the time. I do have a cradlepoint PHS300 router that has a battery as well in case I want to hook up more than 5 devices to the network. (If you think 5 is plenty think about this - 1 iphone, 2 ipod touches, a macbook pro and a macbook air when traveling with the family)

I have been looking but it seems you can only encrypt an ad hoc network with WEP which isn't much of any encryption. For example:
How to: Create an Ad-Hoc Network, Part 2 - www.wi-fiplanet.com
So if it is only WEP - it would only keep out the most basic of users - but some would say it is better than nothing.

OP
Larry H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
Ivan,

Thanks for the info. The modem is a Novetel express card. I have looked at the Cradlepoint routers and the Sprint version of mifi. I just don't have the bucks right now, but I will put it on the wish list.

Larry H

Reaction score
Wifi can be picked up from anyone in your range of access... So if yours is unsecured, others are able to "share" your connection so to speak

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.