Macbook attached to external keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi,

We've had our Macbook for around 18 months and my wife STILL doesn't like the keyboard ; feels like she gets too hunched over when using it; apparently thinks it is smaller than what she was used to with external keyboards on previous PC used at home as well as at work.

So, is it possible to get a larger keyboard that you can attach externally (via a USB cable or something) for use with the Macbook?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Jim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yup. Just about any keyboard should work. Apple has a very slick/sexy one. There is the wired one (USB) or wireless (via BlueTooth). Sometimes you can pick one up for about $50 in the refurbished section of the online store. I just checked and there aren't any at the moment, but I saw one last week. Otherwise, you can get a cheaper one if you go with a different brand.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, here's one someone is selling in our own Buy/Sell/Trade Forum. LINK

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice: Go with the full sized wired Apple aluminum keyboard. They'll outlast the blue tooth model and are less trouble. Besides, you can pick one up at Best Buy or any Apple store brand new for $49.99.

Second choice: Any inexpensive wired Windows type keyboard will work provided it's USB.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Hi,

We've had our Macbook for around 18 months and my wife STILL doesn't like the keyboard ; feels like she gets too hunched over when using it; apparently thinks it is smaller than what she was used to with external keyboards on previous PC used at home as well as at work.

So, is it possible to get a larger keyboard that you can attach externally (via a USB cable or something) for use with the Macbook?

Thanks for all suggestions.

Jim
Is this the first time your wife has ever owned a laptop? The hunched over problem comes from using a laptop on a table that is either too short or a person's chair is too tall. Since the screen is attached to the keyboard a person has to look down, so I prefer to have my laptop higher up by either lower my chair or putting the laptop on a some type of platform. This does mean that the keyboard is also higher up but that is preferred to hunching over. If I'm sitting on a couch then I have to slouch down and put the laptop on something or lean back onto the back rest if I want to sit up straight.

As for the keyboard she may not like flat style laptop keyboards because Mac laptop keyboards aren't much different from Windows laptops. Traditional desktop keyboards are those thicker types. As already been mentioned you can use any USB external keyboard. If you use a Windows one then she won't get all the Mac specific keys but it will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.