• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

.rcproject too large to open iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.6.2 2.8GHz 4GB ram
I have a large iMovie project (1.07GB) I created in iMovie08 and recently "upgraded" to iMovie09. I have been attempting to open iMovie09 but it keeps crashing on me as the .rcproject is too large.

When I take this large .rcproject file out of the iMovie project file, iMovie opens fine.

When I put it back in, it crashes ever time I try to open iMovie.

I've tried putting the project back into the iMovie project file after iMovie is open but it will not show up in the Project Library window.

Any help would be fantastic... Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have no idea if this suggestion will work but it is easy enough to try.

First, use the Finder to make a duplicate of that .rcproject file.

Right click on the new duplicate file and chose 'Show Package Contents'.
If the Movies folder exists in the popup Finder window, then navigate to that location.
If you see a very large file there, delete it. This would be a 'shared' video.
Close the Finder window.
Add this now altered project back into the 'iMovie Projects' folder.

If you didn't see a Movies folder, I don't know what to think. Are there any other large files in the project is something I would look for.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.6.2 2.8GHz 4GB ram
Thanks...
After right clicking on Show Package Contents I opened the Movie file in the popup Finder window but it was empty.
Even right clicked on that folder for "info" - 0kb. No luck...

I did manage to open a QuickTime version of the film in iMovie09, but the quality is not nearly as good and it randomly grouped the film into sections. (The film is stop action composed of over 1,200 still photos, some used as "titles" and just .2 of second.) So, I could edit it somewhat but not as specifically as I needed.

I did manage to use a friend's MacBook Pro with iMovie08 to thoroughly edit the film.

Still, very frustrating why an upgraded version of a program can't read a file created on an earlier version of the same program. Guess I need to find a 08 version of iLife...
Or break down and get Final Cut Pro...

Thanks again!

C

chas_m

The problem was that the project file was somehow corrupted -- or the install of iMovie 09 is. Normally opening 08 projects in 09 is no problem except for the building thumbnails part, which takes a bit of time. Maybe this is where your copy of 09 was having problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
While, that is a puzzle.

The third possibility is an iWeb bug. I'd look at reporting it to Apple. Also you should be at the very latest version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.