• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

bring my movie back

Reaction score
I created a short highlight movie of my sons soccer team in imovie. To save space on my hard drive, I moved the video clips to an external HD. Now every time I try to watch the movie I have to hook up the external HD. Can I bring back only the clips that were used in making the project or should I import the project into imovie for the dvd that I burned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
How are you attempting to watch the video? are you trying to watch it in iMovie? If you are, you probably want to export your movie to another file and then play that file rather then opening iMovie to play the project...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'll assume you are talking about iMovie 08 or 09. Go read my response on this thread to get an idea of the folder layout. If you moved the events folders that the clips are in, then I think dragging those events back to the internal drive to your personal events folder will work. That would be an all or nothing solution in that you'll be dragging unused clips.

You could try creating a new event folder and dragging the unused clips there.

By the way, this management can be done within iMovie it self. You'll see symbols like in the Finder that suggest that you are dragging to copy or move the content.

I don't understand why you are talking about a DVD you have already burned. Looks like you want to ask two different questions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.