• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Intel CPU's & Games

D

dlisle20

will this mean games will run faster on macs and will increase the mac gaming industry? games run so slow on my powerbook, and they run really fast on a P4 with the same graphics card, and also will they brong direct x to mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I think DirectX is a Microsoft product, so who knows whether they will decide to write it for Mac or not.

Look at IE and WMP for Mac....not very good apps on Mac IMHO, but decent (or at least better) on PC...too bad game makers wouldn't just adopt OpenGL instead and develop that more instead of DirectX.

OP
L

lilcrazy707

I think that the P4 will help the Gameing for Mac but lots of game still will only be for PC. I want Valve to put Counter-Strike on Mac cause its so fun to play on a pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I don't think the switch will make a difference in games at the beginning because you will be able to use Windows in the new Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
mraya said:
I don't think the switch will make a difference in games at the beginning because you will be able to use Windows in the new Macs.
good point that being said it will probably kill the mac gaming cuz you could just boot up windows and off you go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G5/Powerbook G4/Pegasos 2
Yup, lots of people are talking that this will just about kill the Mac gamming houses if they dont start releasing Mac games at the same time as the PC version. Why would anyone wait if they can install windows on a partition and boot up to play a new game. I for one woulnt let wondows get any place near a mac I own, but I can see the hardcore gammers doing that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
mac????

games????

nooo

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My understanding that the new system, may boot windows. I have not read that it will boot. We would need to see if boot windows first. If that happens gaming would be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
rman said:
My understanding that the new system, may boot windows. I have not read that it will boot. We would need to see if boot windows first. If that happens gaming would be a problem.

Yeah... And I'm sure this is something that Apple is looking at closely... Although gaming is a pretty small chunk of their current market, if they really do want OSX tackle the home market I don't see them handing their new Mac machines to Microsoft's XP on a silver platter.

OP
M

Maccraft

Does any one know when this switch to P4 will happen because although apple and Pentium have been enemies and I hated Pentium simply because apple seemed to and the were so slow to get a 64-bit CPU. But if this means macs will become more compatible and better with games and other windows programs then I am very excited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
If my memory serves me correctly Jobs said the actual products will start hitting the market beginning of 2006 and the transition is supposed to be almost completed by end of 2007.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
It's the software, not the hardware

There isn't going to be any inherent advantage of intel vs PowerPC for gaming. The question really isnt about hardware, its about software. Games, and drivers (esp video drivers), have to be optimized to run well on either platform. That is the problem the Mac platform has now - software optimization (not hardware), and that problem won't go away by switching hardware.

I also wouldn't expect to see much in the way of new games for OSX until late 2006, early 2007. Until the transition is complete, no one is going to want to have to release 2 binaries to support different architecture Macs. Yes according to Jobs its easy, but the nitty gritty details of having to debug / troubleshoot 2 platforms for the same OS in a relatively niche market is going to push a lot of developers away.

A lot of Mac developers use CodeWarrior too, and at the moment it doesn't cross-compile. The major game I'm thinking of written with CodeWarrior is World of Warcraft.

-Lonerider

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
Just as a side note about what I'm getting at, from cnet searching laptops with 12" screens and using DDR VRAM video memory tech, sorted by price :

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3121_7...1_500244_5024369_&tag=srch&sort=lowPrice9+asc

The first 5 slots are taken by iBooks (past and present). The 6th is the IBM X32 (with 16MB VRAM) at $1289

After that come the PowerBooks and more IBM X32 series. Finally you get to the Toshiba Portege R100 with 32MB VRAM (using a Trident processor), at over $1700.

I'd be pretty suprised if you guys can find a subnote (12" screen) on the PC side with a GPU that can beat the new iBooks.

OP
D

damontgo

I'm not so sure about the switch nixing the Apple game market. For a lot of people, just the thought of having a dual-boot machine would make them quiver, because for a lot of people, that's going to be a troublesome task.

Reaction score
dlisle20 said:
will this mean games will run faster on macs and will increase the mac gaming industry? games run so slow on my powerbook, and they run really fast on a P4 with the same graphics card, and also will they brong direct x to mac?

The switch will not make games run faster....game speed is software/hardware dependent..not exclusive. I too hope the switch will help the mac gaming industry....the common denominater being the hardware. Software has always been very agile to adjust. I also doubt directX will be ported to Mac....Bill would not be able to sell too many windoze if he did that. Yeah my powerbook is a dawg when it comes to games as well...but it's such a beautiful machine. Everything is so well designed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
claudius753 said:
...too bad game makers wouldn't just adopt OpenGL instead and develop that more instead of DirectX.

i know this is an old post, but that statement is really funny. game developers would go out of business if they did that. (exchange a 90+% market opening for a 3% market share......................sure, why not)

OP
D

dlisle20

lonerider said:
There isn't going to be any inherent advantage of intel vs PowerPC for gaming. The question really isnt about hardware, its about software. Games, and drivers (esp video drivers), have to be optimized to run well on either platform. That is the problem the Mac platform has now - software optimization (not hardware), and that problem won't go away by switching hardware.

I also wouldn't expect to see much in the way of new games for OSX until late 2006, early 2007. Until the transition is complete, no one is going to want to have to release 2 binaries to support different architecture Macs. Yes according to Jobs its easy, but the nitty gritty details of having to debug / troubleshoot 2 platforms for the same OS in a relatively niche market is going to push a lot of developers away.

A lot of Mac developers use CodeWarrior too, and at the moment it doesn't cross-compile. The major game I'm thinking of written with CodeWarrior is World of Warcraft.

-Lonerider

HAHAHA of course gaming is to do with hardware! do graphics card ring a bell? having a better graphics card makes games run faster most not the software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

Well, look at Doom 3. It was ported over to mac and even the fastest g5 with the latest greatest video cards are seeing pitiful frame rates.It has to do with coding at that point. The windows version smokes it!

Reaction score
The processor has to be able to keep up with the graphics card. Most reviews of nVidia's latest 7800GTX show that in many games it's true performance is being limited by the processor. A faster processor results in faster frame rates. While the GPU is the primary determinant in game speed, it is far from being the only one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I have a feeling that the new systems will not be legally supposed to boot Windows, but people will do it anyway. A much, much better version of VirtualPC is far more likely. Also, now, they pretty much could afford to release Mac games at the same time, being that emulation would be gone. On top of that, if it's just a few weeks difference (a likely possibility) why not just wait to install it on OS X rather than go back to using Windows? If you'd go back to using Windows, you might as well just have two separate computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.