iphoto/ilife

Reaction score
Hi All

Fist post here.

Ok I have a brand new Macbook with Snow Leopard that has iphoto/ilife installed.

I also have a older MacBook Pro 15". I have installed Snow Leopard on to this from a purchased disk upgrade but I have no iphoto/ilife.

If I insert the Applications DVD from my MacBook it says

"These applications are either already installed on your computer or this computer is not compatible with this disc. Make sure you're using the installation discs that came with your computer."

If I install the "Mac OS X Install DVD" from the MacBook will this put iphoto/ilife on this machine? Also would it leave all my programs as settings as they are?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Please don't pirate software. It's discussion is not permitted here.

The software that ships with a Mac is for installation on a single system, the one it shipped with.

You can install iLife on your old MBP by using the discs it shipped with or by purchasing the newer version of iLife.

OP
B
Reaction score
Please don't pirate software. It's discussion is not permitted here.

The software that ships with a Mac is for installation on a single system, the one it shipped with.

You can install iLife on your old MBP by using the discs it shipped with or by purchasing the newer version of iLife.

Hi

To extend on my situation. My new macbook is a replacement for one I had stolen about 8 weeks ago. I only lost the laptop but still have all the disks, chargers and so on.

In this situation who owns the rights to the software me or the mac that was stolen?

It was password protected so I would assume that to hack it a new operating system would need to be installed?

So, I have two sets of disks and two laptops that I own.

Will it work?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The discs that ship with Macs are system specific and will not work on a different model.

Sorry to hear about having one stolen. That's a real drag.

OP
B
Reaction score
The discs that ship with Macs are system specific and will not work on a different model.

Do you think it is worth my wile contacting Apple to explain or just bite the bullet for the £80 of so for ilife?

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't have the original discs that shipped with the MBP, a call to Apple to request a replacement set would be worthwhile. I've seen members report between free to $20 lately. This will get you the iLife version that it shipped with.

If you want the latest version, don't think Apple is going to give it to you for one machine because another one was stolen. But, the worst that can happen, they say no. And who knows, you might get hold of a rep that feels particularly sympathetic.

OP
B
Reaction score
If you don't have the original discs that shipped with the MBP, a call to Apple to request a replacement set would be worthwhile. I've seen members report between free to $20 lately. This will get you the iLife version that it shipped with.

If you want the latest version, don't think Apple is going to give it to you for one machine because another one was stolen. But, the worst that can happen, they say no. And who knows, you might get hold of a rep that feels particularly sympathetic.

Thanks for your help.

C

chas_m

One point Bob didn't mention that I think may make things clearer on this (so he doesn't seem unsympathetic because I know he isn't):

Because iLife is so ridiculously low-priced ($79US), Apple does not have an "upgrade fee" when they upgrade iLife, everyone is just expected to buy the new version (if they decide they want it) for the same incredibly reasonable fee.

The problem in your situation is that unless your new model is exactly the same as the model that was stolen, those "older" discs you have won't work, so as you put it the discs belong to the laptop that was stolen, rather than to you per se.

If you had insurance on your laptop (perhaps through your homeowners' policy), the cost of replacement software might also be included. Otherwise, you'll need to buy a new legal copy of iLife -- check Ebay and Amazon (et al) for the best deal possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.