Power Mac G5 boot problems

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
First of all, sorry for the lack of info. This is from a friend. He has a powermac G5 and he believes it is a 1.6 dual core. He bought it secondhand and all was great but he moved it to his studio and then it stopped working. When he boots it up he hears the chime but doesn't get a video signal (he has checked the cables). Then there is (what he calls) a metallic grinding noise and then the fans ramp up.

I am assuming that this could be either a loose connection, bad ram (but it won't chime right?) or a half dead HD. Any ideas?

I am assuming that it is chime that the hardware is good but has a minor fault somewhere.

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
And i bet he did not get the original install disks that have the Hardware Test software.
Try powering on and holding down T key - does Firewire symbol show up on screen. If that is go - connect it to your MBP with FW or USB and see if the HD comes up on your screen.

Reaction score
Pull out the video card and reseat it. Make sure the tail on the AGP card is in the lock on the slot and all the way down.

OP
B&O

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Any other ideas before I make the trip out there?

Reaction score
Any other ideas before I make the trip out there?

Disconnect the HD and see if you get flashing ? mark. Having a boot disc would help out as you could run utilities on the HD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.