• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Just watched the WWDC keynote video

E

Ex_PC_Puke

And it really covers all the what - where - and whys of the x86 transition.

So stop it with all the gripin' and moan' and silly questions -- go watch the video ---------- and sit back and enjoy the ride

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Theo was great at the Keynote, funny guy. I like that Steve Jobs uses the "Boom!" references during his speeches a lot. The Longhorn jokes were great too.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Bottom line is -- if Apple wants to keep the explosive sales growth - they need a wide range of chips - Intel can do that easily.

And as the Intel CEO indicated - they've seen the light -- gotta have both processing power and power savings.

One of the best keynotes I've seen at any tech show :)

Reaction score
Um...played sound when I watched it...maybe try reloading? Making sure your speakers are on? And yes, I just watched it about an hr ago, and I deffinately agree...he has lots of valid points. I think if they do a good job with the transition that Mac will be much better off in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that make the Macs now almost "useless" around 4-5 years from now? If that's true, then I'm kind of disappointed since even old Windows computers can still be compatible with upgrades in the future. Anyway, I still love Apple! :biohazard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I was kinda upset about Mac+Intel.

But, let me tell ya...Steve Jobs is one helluva speaker. That video made me feel confident about Apple and its future. They have thought this transition out. Now there is only one question remaining...when can I buy my 20" iMac P4?!?!

Reaction score
claudius753 said:
I was kinda upset about Mac+Intel.

But, let me tell ya...Steve Jobs is one helluva speaker. That video made me feel confident about Apple and its future. They have thought this transition out. Now there is only one question remaining...when can I buy my 20" iMac P4?!?!
Im gonna have to agree with that. When I first heard the news about Apple switching to Intel I didn't know what to think. But after watching the stream I see that Apple really has thought this over a lot and it looks as though they've made a pretty good discision that will improve their systems for the future.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I watched the stream also. What is confusing me is this x86. I did not hear Steve say that the new Apple product will be on any of the current Intel chip sets. All I heard that OS X have run on Intel boxes from the beginning of OS X life. Also that the developers box have Intel processor in them.

Reaction score
BurntSmore said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that make the Macs now almost "useless" around 4-5 years from now?

Nope, as long as software developers release universal binaries that can fun on intel or ppc, it'll be fine.

OP
C

Cloudane

I love how they dropped the 'e' on "It's True" to match the Intel logo just before they came up with the answer - that was very very funny :spook:

It'll be interesting going back to the days where you go to download something and it asks which processor you're running. (not everyone will do the universal binaries). Bit like the old 68K/PPC days, or downloading software for the early PocketPCs.

Reaction score
Cloudane said:
I love how they dropped the 'e' on "It's True" to match the Intel logo just before they came up with the answer - that was very very funny :spook:.
Made me laugh also ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Jobs does a great job of showing that Apple has not made this decision without first doing their homework.... I watched it last night and it definitely made a good case for the switch and answered any of my concerns. Apple has already taken care of the hardest parts... This shouldn't be anything like the 9 - OSX switch developers had to wade through back a few years ago. My optimism was certainely boosted after watching it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I agree also, if Apple continues to do what they are doing now. Their future should be brighter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
well after watching this...im glad to see they will support PPC ...they said for a long time, lets just hope a LONG TIME means MORE than 2 years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.