• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Slow Upload?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First time poster :)

I'm new to IMovie so please bear with me!

I have a large amount of video to upload from our camcorder. When I started the process in IMovie I was amazed at how slow the upload is. It's uploading in slower than real time. Is this normal or am I missing a step?

The process seems rather painful!!

My camcorder is a Sony HDR-XR520.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
A bit of information about your Mac would be helpful - what model / cpu / gpu / version osx do you have? as well as what settings you've selected for your camera - most specifically the quality setting?

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm using a Macbook but I also have an IMac that I can use.

Mac OS x 10.6.2
Is that the info you need?
As far as the camera settings...
It takes me about 30 minutes to generate the thumbnails (granted, I have a lot of video to upload).
Once i've done that and I select a specific clip to upload and it prompts me to select a location and size. I select:

1080i Video as Large

From there it uploads in slightly slower than real time.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I've missed anything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Well, the amount of RAM and CPU power would be helpful as well :) (ie: go to the Apple -> About This Mac and it should tell you the processor and the memory)

It will take a while depending on how much video you have to index and depending on the speed of the connection, the speed of the CPU and the amount of RAM will all directly impact how long it will take.

You see, to use the video from that camera, which is recorded in AVCHD, it needs to be transcoded into a more edit-friendly format - which for iMovie is Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). Transcoding video does take time, the longer the movie and the larger the original file, the longer it will take to transcode. Your camcorder has a variety of settings with which to record video, the highest setting, on average (based upon Sonys specs) will allow for 1750 minutes to be stored on the 240 gig internal drive, that means for every minute of video it's taking ~137mbyte (could be more or less depending on various things that make up the subject of the video, etc.) and that will take time to transfer and convert from AVCHD to AIC. In theory it should be quicker to transfer footage, but sometimes it's not... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It sounds like it is acting normally.

It's a good bet you are talking about iMovie 08 or 09, so I'll assume that.

iMovie converts the file to another format (that is optimized for editing) AND also creates thumbnails so that you can quickly review your content. There isn't magic to this, it takes time.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Sounds like I need to be more patient ;)

As far as my MacBook info (sorry...hehe...I'm a recent Apple convert...still a bit clueless)

Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Maybe i'll try it on my IMac?

Thanks again...very helpful :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.