Time Machine + Ext Hdd + Ethernet = Help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
At home there is 2 users on a 'network' thats not defined as such. It goes a little something like this

ADSL Model -> Wireless 4 port router -> I'm connected by LAN to my iMac -> My flatmate is connected by wifi

I have a few questions:

1. Will I be able to connect my Ext Hdd to the router and use it as my time machine backup for my iMac
2. Will this be quicker then firewire 800 directly into my iMac
3. I read that you can make the drive shared so that more then one person can backup on the same hdd - True? Can it be done / Can it be prevented

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As to question:

1. Yes.

2. No. FW 800 direct connection will be faster.

3. Yes, you can share the drive between users for backup. Can it be prevented - not sure I understand?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Intel 4Gb RAM OS 10.5
Hi there, can i have some details for question 1??

Already went to this link, but didnt worked for me.

I get error message that Image could not be created.

Any more detalied post/link?

Thanks!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am not sure if either of the following are the cause of that error but just for clarification the following things occur to me:

1. Have you verified the disk drive that you want to use. Time machine can be somewhat picky about drive errors. You will need to do this with the drive directly connected to the Mac since DU won't verify over the network.
2. What is the drive format? Under normal circumstances Time Machine is expecting HFS+ Extended Journaled if I remember correctly. I don't remember for sure if it works with other formats over the network. Might as well simplify things as much as possible.
3. I assume you have a bit more free space pn the drive than the image requires?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.