• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best Camcorder to buy? Best format to record in?

Reaction score
I was trying to decide what cam to buy, I kind of like the Canon's, such as the FS20, FS30, FS200, HF R10, HF R100, HF 200, etc..... Was wondering if anyone was using any of these and what they thought of them?? I will be using the cam for home movies. Also, Was wondering the difference between the different formats such as MPEG-2, AVCHD, MPEG-4, etc..... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.06GHz duo, 4GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA 9400M| 8GB iPod Touch
A friend has a an HF-200 and it's an awesome camera. It works flawlessly with final cut express too.

Reaction score
Yes, the HF-200 is a pretty good camcorder. I also like the more high-end sony ones as well

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alu MacBook Pro 15" 2.4ghz
Sony HDRsr11e
Great cam for the price. Has the ability to add lenses etc.
Crystal clear display. Great. Not had any problems with it.

'edit'
Dont like Macs tho.

Reaction score
Sony HDRsr11e
Great cam for the price. Has the ability to add lenses etc.
Crystal clear display. Great. Not had any problems with it.

'edit'
Dont like Macs tho.

Precisely. any of the sony HDR higher end models will do just fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IBM PCjr, 4.77 MHz Intel 8088, 640K RAM, 5.25" Floppy, Basic Cartridge, PC DOS 2.11
I just purchased a Canon VIXIA HF S100 from Beach Camera and I am loving this unit. The picture quality is outstanding and it has all the bells and whistles I could want. Apple does warn that Cinema Mode or 24p cause jittery playback, but I have not experienced it. It's last years model and can be found for at least $400 off it's normal street price which makes it a steal in my book.

I also looked at the Sony Handycam HDR-CX500V, but the reviews of this unit in lower light situations were avg at best and it doesn't support SDHC only their proprietary memory. It did have some nifty features that the Canon didn't but none of them were necessary to me. Thinks like GPS Tagging seemed like something I would never use anyway.

Just my 2¢

EDIT: I only answered 1/2 the question. I record in 1080i 60fps, AVCHD (Highest settings on the Canon) mainly b/c I have a huge external HDD and don't have issues storing them. It is rather pointless right now, b/c I have no way outside of playing it through the camera to get this level of detail onto a media to play on my Home Theater. The Apple TV doesn't support video this high and I don't have a BluRay burner. I assume at some point Apple will have to address this and so I have all the ADCHD files archived. But that's just how I do it, I'm sure there a better ways for better reasons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
I was trying to decide what cam to buy, I kind of like the Canon's, such as the FS20, FS30, FS200, HF R10, HF R100, HF 200, etc..... Was wondering if anyone was using any of these and what they thought of them?? I will be using the cam for home movies. Also, Was wondering the difference between the different formats such as MPEG-2, AVCHD, MPEG-4, etc..... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Different formats are just various flavors of video compression... it really depends on what your goal is as to whether they will even matter to you. MPEG-4 is one that tends to compress the most, it is also the one that pops up in those cheap sub-200 dollar camcorders. MPEG-2 is old school and most likely to be found in SD camcorders. AVCHD is a a sony/panasonic created format... If you are looking for HD you'll likely find something that records to H.264 (which is a type of MPEG-4) which is common in HD camcorders.

You should start by deciding if you want a SD or HD camcorder... once you decide that you can narrow down your format options... but remember to make sure that whatever you have to editing will edit the format you are looking at. Not all editing software like all formats... even when they will edit all formats some of them will require more time than others.

You've listed both SD and HD camcorders so it isn't clear what your end use goal is.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I know camcorder purists will flame me, but I have been delighted with the quality of the HD video recorded with my Pana Lumix FZ28 (a 10MP Ultrazoom P&S Still Camera).
I have a Sony Compact Digital DV Tape Recorder, but never use it anymore. The FZ28 is more convenient and shoots better video. I realize the new Canon's will outperform my FZ28, but for home movies what I have is good enough for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.