Mac mini a couple questions

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I have been thinking about getting a Mac mini to use as a desktop, and wanted to know from some of you that have a newer one.

1) How well does it handle 2 monitors
2) Does it apply to the back to school Ipod deal?
3) Does apple normally keep its specs similar to the low end MacBook pros of just the MacBooks? Meaning is it likely that it will gain a the new graphics card, and a newer C2D? I am in no hurry to get it as I wont be setting up my new desk set up until I move into my new apartment in a couple of months.

Thanks for your help
Jared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. from the apple website - mini page
"Two displays are better than one.

Mac mini comes with both mini-DVI and Mini DisplayPort output ports, so you can connect two displays to do more with your photos, movies, and files. Choose the beautiful, widescreen Apple LED Cinema Display or displays available from many third parties."

And I also read this is the Official Apple forums:
"I would think 1920x1200 would be max on each display since 2560 x 1600 30" display requires a Dual-Link Digital DVI connection."

So judging by that at 1920x1200 the new mac minis should handle that just fine.

2. Some years have included the Mini other years have not.

3. Yes but not at the same time.. Eventually the Mini will get the nice specs the macbooks have. But they operate on a different time scale. Meaning sometimes they are updated before the Macbooks and other times well after. It's just hard to know with the Mini when it'll be upgraded.

OP
foxj66
Reaction score
Thanks, I am going to pick one up sometime this summer. The specs it has now works for what I need, but nothing would be wrong with a performance bump before I order.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.