external DVD drive issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I got a region free external DVD drive a couple of days ago, and I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get my iBook to recognise it. My iBook is set to region 1, and the DVDs I'm trying to play are region 2.

I've installed RegionX and tried to change the zone on the region free DVD drive, but when I put a region 2 disc in, the disc didn't show up on my computer at all. At first, I thought it was the disc, so I tried it again with another region 2 disc, but that didn't work either. I also tried that trick of opening it in VLC, but that just made VLC crash.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what brand the DVD drive is (I got it from ebay and it doesn't say anything on the packaging or the drive casing), but it's really frustrating that it doesn't show up at all.

I've searched the forums and Google extensively, and I can't find anything. I'm using an iBook with Tiger.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unfortunately, I have no idea what brand the DVD drive is (I got it from ebay and it doesn't say anything on the packaging or the drive casing), but it's really frustrating that it doesn't show up at all.

A region free DVD drive is one which has no preset region(s) in its firmware. Unfortunately, many of these types of drives are ones which have been modified with home grown firmware. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. And, they can cause problems depending on which operating system they're used with.

I would contact the seller on ebay and ask for a refund. (if possible)

Regards.

OP
Beatles4Life
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
Thanks for the advice, chscag, and for responding so quickly. I definitely don't want to mess up my iBook, so I'll see if I can get a refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.