Refurb or Newest MBP?

Reaction score
I have found a refurb MBP for $929. 2.26GHz, 2GB, 160GB HD, 13.3". 7 hr battery life. (I will upgrade the memory so add $100 to price)

The newest is $1199. 2.46GHz, 4GB, 250GB HD, TEN hour battery life.

Price difference-about $180.

This will be my first Mac. No real reason to buy one except that I am bored with Windows and want something new (the battery life and beautiful display are my biggest draws).

So, what do you think? Are the increased specs really worth the $180?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Depends. Do you need them? Lame response I know, but how could we answer your question if we have NO idea what you will be doing with the thing?

OP
J
Reaction score
Depends. Do you need them? Lame response I know, but how could we answer your question if we have NO idea what you will be doing with the thing?

Of course I don't need them!:D

Since I have never owned a Mac, I don't know what hardware specs I would need to 'future-proof' it.

Is 2GB enough or should I immediately upgrade to 4GB (only $100). As for HD size, my wife and I are sharing a PC laptop and combined we use 111GB, BUT Macs seem to be easier to do some things. Maybe I will use my digital camera more and the picture organization is way better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Processor-wise, no. To go from 2GB to GB of RAM will set ya back almost $100. And as you mentioned, the HDD will be a $100. So, now you have something to work with....

OP
J
Reaction score
Processor-wise, no. To go from 2GB to GB of RAM will set ya back almost $100. And as you mentioned, the HDD will be a $100. So, now you have something to work with....

So....do you recommend the older MBP with a 4GB upgrade? Or should I just buy the new one so that it will have the latest specs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
You should keep in mind when order from Apple, that you would have to pay tax on the refurbished one. I ordered my refurb through Apple. It's free shipping but tax added another $70 to the cost. $999+$70=$1069. I could have had a brand new one from a couple of on-line mail order place with free shipping and no tax at $1120 to $1140. My savings for getting a refurb was $50-$70. Not much. Also, if you're going to buy a refurb MBP with a core2duo, you might as well buy a new one with C2Duo, since resellers would tend to lower the price to sell off their stocks of now older C2Duo MBP

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody MB990LL/A

OP
J
Reaction score
You should keep in mind when order from Apple, that you would have to pay tax on the refurbished one. I ordered my refurb through Apple. It's free shipping but tax added another $70 to the cost. $999+$70=$1069. I could have had a brand new one from a couple of on-line mail order place with free shipping and no tax at $1120 to $1140. My savings for getting a refurb was $50-$70. Not much. Also, if you're going to buy a refurb MBP with a core2duo, you might as well buy a new one with C2Duo, since resellers would tend to lower the price to sell off their stocks of now older C2Duo MBP

Apple 13.3" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, SuperDrive - Aluminum unibody MB990LL/A

I have taken tax into account. What I failed to mention is that I will be using the Apple Credit Card-no interest for a full year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
I have taken tax into account. What I failed to mention is that I will be using the Apple Credit Card-no interest for a full year.

Just make sure you pay it off within that year or you'll be socked with all of the interest from day one.

Reaction score
Also are you a student? because you will get a 100 off of the new one if you are.

Reaction score

I agree. It will be about $200 to add the extra 2MB and upgrade the hard drive.
In addition, consider how much you travel with your laptop. If it is a lot, the extra battery life may be worth it to you.

OP
J
Reaction score
I agree. It will be about $200 to add the extra 2MB and upgrade the hard drive.
In addition, consider how much you travel with your laptop. If it is a lot, the extra battery life may be worth it to you.

I may just end up with the refurb. Number 1, I don't really travel and number 2, I have never had a Mac before, so who's to say if I need the extra memory/HD space. I am tech-inclined, so I can change them when and if needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.