Youtube is telling me to upgrade...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5", 4GB RAM, 500 GB hdd 16G wi-fi iPad
Hi all. When I go to Youtube, and try to play a video, it tells me to upgrade. I click the upgrade, and it brings me to the adobe flash player website. I never had problems before playing videos on Youtube. Anyone else seeing this? I have click to flash installed. Could this be causing any problems? I don't have any problems viewing flash on other sites. Should I download flash player? I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Aaron

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Visit Adobe - Flash Player

You will see a box saying "You have version...." and then look at the chart at the bottom that shows the latest version of all the OS' that Flash is supported on. 10.0.45.2 is the latest version..so if you aren't near that version..(I'm at 10.0.42.34 and have not gotten that message from Youtube)..then you might want to upgrade indeed.

Now it is possible that with Click to Flash installed, Youtube might be trying to detect something and if you don't click fast enough, the detection might fail and Youtube might think that you have an outdated version of Flash..so try disabling Click to Flash for a moment and see what happens..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks raz0r. It will have to wait till morning as I am at work for the rest of the night. I will try disabling Click To Flash first. Maybe I will even remove it. I'm not 100% sure it is benefitting me.
Thanks again,
Aaron

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depending on which browser you are using, I find extensions that target Ads work better than turning off all Flash..

On FireFox, there's AdBlock..and on Chrome there's AdThwart that I use..they work great at keeping my browser window uncluttered with Ads, but allow the flash content to work where I expect it to..

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of the advice. I uninstalled Click to Flash and youtube is operating fine now. I'm not sure if I will re-install it or not. Thanks again.

Aaron

C

chas_m

ClickToFlash is fine now (1.6b8). I still find it INSANELY useful (though I do whitelist some sites so that all Flash plays automatically). For starters, it blocks the one kind of ad I am religious about blocking: musical and/or epilepsy-inducing over-animated Flash ads.

Whoever invented those and the people who make them should be forced to watch Brady Disco Variety Hour specials until they repent.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got this "Go Upgrade!" thing even though I haven't got ClicktoFlash installed. Why is that?

I often get the "An Error has Occurred" message, and the only way to solve it is to clear my cookies. It happens about once a week?

HELP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.