Grr

Q

Quantumweb

So, I just sold a mac mini to a girl over ebay. She claims that she never got it, just a package with a beat up CD rom drive. So, the total package weighed 2.6 lbs.. and a STOCK min weighs 2.9, so now im in trouble for mail fraud. the thing is, I DID HAVE A MINI in there, and the box and cd's!! my mini was upgraded to a 100gb pbook drive, and 1 gb ram, as few as a few other little things. Is it REALLY possible that upgrading the stuff, could make it a little light? on apples site it said that weight can vary due to manufacturing processes.. could it vary that much??? HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
wow...so you sold your mini, shipped your mini and she recieved a cdrom drive? i am really confused. did you package it yourself? was it insured? why is weight the real issue in all this?

does the girl know that the mini can in a way look like a cdrom drive but actually be a computer?

Reaction score
I really doubt that changing stuff, packaging, and random variation would allow for it to weigh 2.6lbs.

Is 2.9lbs just the mini or does that include the powersupply?

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Bummer

Anything I sell on ebay over $150 - gets insurance - I split the cost with the buyer

Reaction score
has it occurred to you that your being scammed? I mean you know you sent the mini, so either a postal worker swapped the mini with cd drive or the girl is lying. The latter is more likely.

I dont get what the issue is with the weight. Are you in trouble for mail fraud because you "didnt send the mac mini" or is it something to do with weight?

Hope it all turns out ok

OP
B

blackscooby

I'd ask her to take a photo of the packaging and the "CD Drive" that she received and e-mail the pics to you. Providing she has a digi camera !

Sounds like she's trying it on to be honest.

OP
D

dlisle20

lol, rinseout

no jokes, but er... somebody could have stole the package and put a CD drive inside to still make it look like something was in the box :yinyang:

OP
C

code777

sounds like the ol lady is scammin' you. better do some of your own invesitgation on her and ask some questions to her directly on the phone to get a feel if she is making this up or whatnot. you gotta talk to this person by phone not on email...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I agree, get her on the phone and ask her to describe the unit. Get her to give you the serial and model numbers.

OP
Q

Quantumweb

Ya i have talked to her, she claims that she has 'proof' im scamming her and the USPS. I just don't get some people. I DO Have full insurance on it, its mandatory for whatever I send out. She tried to file insurance, and now the USPS is coming after me, claiming a mini weighs 2.9 lbs, and when i SHIPPED the package with the mini, it was only 2.6. Meaning, I could NOT have had the mini in there, which is BS because i have people that SAW me package the mini!!! I've talked to her on the phone.. and shes confident I'll be in handcuffs by morning if I dont sent the money back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
how much does a cd-rom drive weigh?? imo it cant be 2.6 pounds

-chris

mind showing us the ebay link?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yeah, Cd drives are usually like 1 1/2 pounds

OP
Q

Quantumweb

Ya, a mac mini, by ITSELF, weights 2.9 lbs. The total package of hers weighed 2.6.. it doesn't add up and I dont get it.. I never shipped a PS with it either... is it possible since i had a pbook hd, and a few other different things, i could drop .3 lbs?

OP
E

Echo_

id go asap to your mail place or whatever so incase one of them remembers you shipping it and saw it can vouch for you. this way its still fresh in their mind

OP
C

code777

You need to calm down and take things one at a time. Look at everything logically. If you want you can call the USPS Postal Inspection Service and file your claim against her. What have you got to lose? If you did what you were supposed to do for this girl then you have nothing to worry about. You did right and things will work out for you. If you know you have done no wrong then don't worry.

You'll work it out don't worry. Just talk to the correct people at the USPS Postal Inspection Service. No one is going out in handcuffs trust me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You did not ship the Power Supply with it? How was she going to use it? Or am I missing something? People that have seen my Mini thought it was a CDROM drive. Have her describe it.

OP
Q

Quantumweb

dtravis7 said:
You did not ship the Power Supply with it? How was she going to use it? Or am I missing something? People that have seen my Mini thought it was a CDROM drive. Have her describe it.

The powersupply was not included in the auction.

OP
F

Fallooza

why dont u post the info so that we can see your auction on ebay? omaybe your user name or auction id#?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.