• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Another nice opinionated article about Apple

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Uuuch. Such fluff. That writer should have his hands tied together. He wouldn't know what made an compelling read if he was standing next to Balzac..

His assessment on what is going to happen to book stores such as Barnes and Noble is way off. I'm not even going to say "IMO", because it's a fact. There is no way that the iPad is going to lead to people not wanting to own or read print, nor is it going to make people not want to be in an social environment such as a book store. Wow. What an absolutely thoughtless and unimaginative dullard this guy is. He cites happenings with the fervor of an "Captain obvious", and yet manages to take only statistics into account. My grandmother could have written that lame article. (rest her soul)

Every person I've ever met or worked with or know is into reading print, and loves book stores. The eBook reader has its place in the world, but is far from being a replacement for a real book. Should the day ever come when people decide to stop the printing presses, I'll be truly afraid of what is happening to the world. I personally, do not like using eReaders. The last thing I want to do is ingest an thousand page novel from a computer screen, especially one which has the potential to strain my eyes.

The Kindle is actually a much better device for reading books due to its technology which makes the text easy to read in any light source and causes no strain on your eyes over time, unlike the conventional display of such devices such as an iPad. Yes, the text is clear on the iPad, but that's not the issue at all.

As far as the music goes.. most conventional music stores were dead long before iTunes got to the party. iTunes merely swooped down like a vulture and picked up the remaining leftovers, and gave those whom are still interested in popular music, a reason not to care about what happened in the real world.

I still actually buy the physical medium. I don't do iTunes. Why? Really simple. I've never been a "one hit" song buyer kind of guy. If I like a song from a certain band, chances are that I'm going to like more than just one. Most of the crap you'll hear on the radio is corporate mainstream garbage which is meant to be ingested on a purely moment to moment basis, and does not suit a model which would otherwise have it seen as a whole package. Because with that stuff, you never know what you're going to get.

And let's not even get on to the subject of how any of these corporate born entities are severely lacking any sort of real talent. They don't write songs, they're given songs to sing. And most of the time, they can't even do that.. vocal compressors along with auto tune does all of the work. The music scene just isn't what it used to be compared with what we had up to the late 80's early 90's. I think that's when it all started to go down hill if I'm not mistaken.

Anything 'worth' buying, I will buy as a whole unit. I like the physical medium. I like the liner notes, and the art. And I know a lot of other people in the same boat. In NYC there are still quite a few places to get LP's (vinyl) and if I want a CD or some vinyl that I can't find, I'll shop online at places such as Jazz, Rock, Funk, Soul, Reggae, Rap & Hip Hop, Classical, and Latin New Vinyl Records, 180 & 200 Gram Vinyl LPs, Vinyl Records at SoundStage Direct or Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment | Acoustic Sounds or Insound.com: Online Indie Store Selling Vinyl, MP3s, Band Posters, T-shirts, Turntables and (of course) CDs (indy stuff) Heck, there's even still CD Universe - Your Online Music Store

I personally don't blame people for not shopping at those music stores which went out of business. Their prices were ridiculous, and the quality of the products were on a steady decline for years. Napster and iTunes didn't kill anything, the music industry and greedy suits did it all by themselves. People who "pirated" music (or do) were never going to buy anything in the first place, so that excuse is totally bunk. And the music worth buying, became obsolete, thanks to corporate America, as it preferred to pump out its own brand of music to the teeny boppers who are more into commercials on MTV than actual music. C'est La Vie !

Doug

C

chas_m

I don't take huge amounts of issue with your overall rant, Doug b, but I take issue with itty bitty bits of it.

I'm a record (well, some vinyl, mostly CDs) collector myself, so I definitely relate to the idea of physical collecting of artists I enjoy. And as for your comments about corporate entertainment, to say I'm right behind you would be putting it mildly. But this idea of rejecting iTunes buying as though it has to be one or the other is ridiculous.

There's tons of good selected material I have no interest in collecting, but enjoy hearing (even repeatedly) for a wide variety of non-collector reasons, and iTunes frees me to buy only those things I actually want. Not to even mention how great it is that nothing *ever* goes out of print on iTunes or becomes "unobtainium," or how incredibly easy it is to explore and discover new artists some of which I may end up collecting. iTunes has been a great benefit to up-and-comers and others who previously had to rely on endless touring or limited word of mouth.

As for books, again this is a fairly specious argument. I'm not "cheating" on real books if I read an e-book! I *own* a Kindle and I will be ditching that primitive POS as fast as I can for an iPad. There's no evidence *whatsoever* that the Kindle (or prolonged reading of a real book!) isn't causing eyestrain or eye fatigue also. People used to read books by CANDLELIGHT, you really think a sharp clear LED-backlit screen with resizable text is worse for your eyes than that? Seriously??

Somehow I don't think corrective lenses were called into existence after people started doing the majority of their reading on computers. The ability to instantly resize text to what's most comfortable for me with a pinch of my fingers (rather than locked into the limited font sizes of the Kindle or the "no options at all" size of a real book) is a huge benefit that will *encourage* more reading for pleasure. So will the automatic light adjustment sensitivity of the iPad. So will the wide range of free books, and the easy sampling of books I might then decide to buy. It encourages *exploration* of literature (and other art forms) in a way not seen since the last time public libraries were great social halls (when was that anyway? Your parents' generation? Your grandparents'?).

Trading my larger apartment to a smaller one with a killer view didn't kill my love of books, but it made it totally impractical for me to have very many on hand. I usually don't know the first time I read a book if it's going to be one that I will truly treasure forever or not, so no I don't mind at all buying the e-version and then, perhaps later, making it a permanent edition to my paper library. I love being able to have a good selection of potential reading material handy (and the option to get a great deal more) or worrying about where to store it, etc. It removes the need to obsessively "collect" and gets me back to what was important about it in the first place: the *content.*

You might think it foolish to contemplate buying the same book twice, but how many times have you re-bought your favourite music album or movie because it changed formats? :)

Records didn't kill radio, and TV didn't kill movies, but some aspects of those mediums adapted or died, and thus it will be with print and music in the digital age. For example, I don't think bookstores have much to worry about, but I think the idea of printed comic books will probably pass into history (and the sooner the better -- you want to talk about a manipulated market ruined by "collectors" ...).

Generally speaking, new technologies tend to benefits artists/events/ideas that were underserved by the previous business model, which actually means good news for people of musical or literary taste like yourself -- the crap music/literature already has support, it's the artists who don't want to pander to the plebes who needed more exposure and a more level playing field. iTunes, particularly via its free podcasts and iTunes U, have brought SO MUCH diversity and otherwise unavailable voices to the public square -- to rail against it in favour of "real albums" or "real books" reminds me of the short-sighted talk of the luddites who feared the machines of the Industrial Age.

Not only is there ROOM for both the traditional formats and the new, they DEPEND on each other. Shakespeare would never have lasted 500 years as a relevant voice if his works weren't continuously re-interpreted, redefined, given new relevance and rediscovered, first by the printing press and then by scholars and then by movies and then by daring theatrical directors who grew up absorbing all the "new technological" forms this material could take in their own histories, and building on that to keep Shakespeare meaningful.

iTunes and the iPad are no more of a "threat" to the content that you value than digital photography has been a threat to the art of memorable pictures; indeed, they are themselves part of what keeps the art alive and thriving.

Reaction score
You guys are well on your way to writing a book about this subject.

Seriously though, I agree with what you guys have said, so I'll keep this post short and simple, haha..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just the first part of that rant alone is not true, leave alone the rest of it. I went to my mall today. Saw maybe 2-3 CD stores. Best Buy right up the road. We have maybe 10-15 CD stores here in town including stores like Wal Mart and Best Buy that also sell CD's.

I just sometimes choose to buy it online and save some $$$.

Last CD purchase I made was from the Blues Guitarist Joe Bonamassa. For $9.99 I not only got a CD with a nice case mailed to me but was also for that one price able to download a 320K MP3 VBR copy for instant use! So I got both the downloaded and the physical CD. Bought it from his store. Nice to support an artist I like. They need to eat also! :D

Also forgot to mention, I prefer reading book on the computer where I can zoom to the size that is easy on my eyes. I get way more eyestrain on most books at least with my eyes.

Reaction score
I buy all music online, mostly through iTunes..

Then, I burn the CD's I want on CD, onto a CD for use in my car.

I'm not much of a book reader, but the books I do buy, are physical print.. With the iPhone/iPod Touch getting iBooks, that may change however.

The Kindle app for the iPod Touch wasn't bad, but it wasn't something that made me think about switching predominantly to the e-book format.

With that said, I'm sure there is a little blow dealt to book stores from the iPad/Kindle/Sony e-reader formats. It's safe to assume that a lot of people have switched to e-reader format, but it's no where near the amount of people to put a damper on book stores. The social setting alone will keep them going strong.

I can't say the same about Music CD's though. The digital format is doing damage to that format. For the sake that not only can you download it digitally, but also burn it to a cd if you want.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Good points Chas. And I don't even disagree with them. My intention was not to state that I felt that eBooks were going to take the place of a book store or the physical medium it self. It was merely in calling out the guy who wrote that poor excuse for a commentary. He was the one that made the suggestion that Barnes and Noble's days are numbered. I refuted the point, and expanded upon it.

I may have been a bit too critical with iTunes though. After all, it has its place in society, and moves along with the trends being set. I didn't mean to say (if I alluded to this) that one couldn't find anything of worth to download. I should have just stated that it's not my preferred method of obtaining music. This may also be related to the fact that I don't like iTunes in general. But I can see its worth. Should an online music store offer up B-sides or "digital only" released songs by say.. Radiohead, I'll buy them. And the same goes for any other artist that I'm very fond of.

As for the eye strain thing.. .It has actually been proven that the technology the Kindle uses puts far less strain on one's eyes in comparison to an LCD. If you're getting headaches reading a real book, you're not sitting in proper light, and may need glasses, but that's another issue. This is nit picking though I suppose. Everyone will use what they prefer, for whatever reasons. And I've used Kindle's before. Not sure why you'd feel it was a POS.. I really liked it a lot.

Doug

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
iTunes helped put the Music store out of business
This is true actually. But it's more like a carnivor finishing an already fatally wounded animal. I think the death of the music store started with Sony and their casette walkmans. People used to just copy tape to tape. One person bought the CD or heck cause I was a little kid at the time we all saved up pocket change and put together for the CD. I was not alive in the before CDs existed world.

And this mentality of buying small and sharing essentially the data only started there. And then ideas like napster and others just took to a whole new level. And Apple saw this Physical music (as in CDs) juggernaught was at it's knees. And with the ipod in their lineup, they used that to make the itunes and finish of the wounded animal.

So in short they helped kill music in a way. Sure all the big music stores (JB hi-fi, Sanity etc ) have survived but many of the little music stores have simply died. I used to be friends with the owner of one of these little music stores. She owned two outlets she built from the ground up. And she told me a simple lack of sales killed her. And it's the same no matter what small music retailer you speak to. The only way to survive is go big and have a massive range. Or go online and sell to thre world.

So in that respect Apple and co didn't kill the music industry they just brought it into the 21st century and cnahged the way profit is to be made in this business. No longer is it by a personal presence and friendly service. Like your corner music store was once famous for. Now it's either a warehouse sized stock pile for the customers to wade through or get on the net and sell to the world. This shift if part is Apple's doing.

iPods won the MP3 Race
Yes they did. Apple have that 80%+ of the mp3 player market with ipods/iphones now. I think that's proof enough. They didn't invent the idea. Apple rarely invents ideas from the ground up. They just saw the idea, modified it, revolutionised it and made their millions.

iPhones changed the game
Again yes they did. But the author of the article here is wrong about what game they changed. Apple on the whole didn't win the smartphone market. Maybe now they are getting close. But Apple won the "I see  I must buy " market. Almost anything with the  on it sells like hotcakes. And the iphone just happened to be another product woth the  on it. Just like the ipad and the iphone. Very few other companies can sell their products just because they exist. No real marketing, no company made hype. Just tell people it exists and sure enough they'll line up for miles to get it. That is a rare quality the  has.

Apple computers continue to sell due to high customer satisfaction and a loyal fan base
That is pure bollocks. Everyone knows it. If that was the case there'd be no stories of switchers. And face it switchers are a large part of Apple's market. Sure the loyal return customers are there but they are only one pice of the puzzle. And the switchers are another important piece.

The iPad will be a game changer
Nope. It is a game changer. I think our concept of what a "standard" computer is will showly change and evolve thanks to the ipad.

The iPad will help put bookstores out of business
Another totally bollocks statement. The ipad/ibooks will surely help publishers get an additional source of revenue. But people still buy paper books all the time. I still do. I don't think people are ready to accept a book without the physical media of paper yet. Sure people are slowly accepting music without the physical media of CDs. But books will take a lot longer.

And secondly I'm sure once most of our forests in the world are chopped down for all our wood and paper products then the greenies will scream save the Earth. And they do have a point. No trees = no oxygen. And no people. So I think this human greed to chop down too many trees will kill the bookstore long before the ipad will.

Changing Newspaper industry
As above. The greenies will win.

Cannibalization & new niche markets
I don't think so. Apple made a point to say the ipad is not a touch or iphone or macbook. And is not advertising it that way. So I think it'll kill netbook sales. Netbook makers should be worried. And I think 99.99% of all netbooks are POS anyways.

As much as people hate it. I think iAd is brilliant. There I said it. Sure how what where and when revenue dets to the developers needs to be worked out still. But how Jobs described it says it all. I think it's brillliant. As long as the developers get a fair cut then I'm ok with it.

That's all I want to talk about from the article. The rest is just him spitting out Apple facts. The article is nice. Apart from his rant on ibooks. That is really pure bollocks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
We still buy physical media and rent downloadable movies and from time to time purchase a one hit wonder from iTunes. What my wife and I have noticed in music over
the years most albums don't have great song after song one or two good ones and the rest is filler. If by chance we find an album that has at least 50% of the material we like
we try and find it on DVD-A or SACD sense we have a lot invested in our hi-fi. My one
gripe with iTunes just wish they offered the songs in lossless. As for reading my wife
has many books and a friend let her use the iPad now needless to say she is getting one .

C

chas_m

Good points Chas. And I don't even disagree with them. My intention was not to state that I felt that eBooks were going to take the place of a book store or the physical medium it self. It was merely in calling out the guy who wrote that poor excuse for a commentary. He was the one that made the suggestion that Barnes and Noble's days are numbered. I refuted the point, and expanded upon it.

Yes, I read the article, and agree with you that the author is getting ahead of himself rather a lot ... :)

And I've used Kindle's before. Not sure why you'd feel it was a POS.. I really liked it a lot.

I'm a big fan of "epaper," but the original Kindle (the one I have) isn't a very good example of its real potential (which isn't really in computers, but in other places). There are a lot of annoying limitations in the software, the weight is unbalanced, it was (is) ridiculously expensive, and more than anything else, you're CONSTANTLY being reminded that you're reading an electronic device. It's not in any way immersive (this is the key factor that will put the iPad on top as e-reader of choice). Living where we do we also had lots of problems with the Sprint connection, Amazon has made some tactical blunders that were pretty annoying (remember when they "took back" a purchased book from customers?) and so on.

The later Kindles were better but still unbalanced and gray, which always irritated my eyes (rule 1: epaper should be as white as real paper. This is doable, I have seen it). Maybe I'm spoiled by Apple, but the Kindle always felt very cheaply put together (particularly in light of what people paid for it!).

But I wanted to reiterate that ON THE WHOLE I concur with your statements, particularly about corporate media. If the iPad had LOCKED us into buying ONLY from iBooks they'd have lost at least one sale, and I feel the same about iTunes and music files. But really when you look at it, most of the (few) things about iTunes that are awkward or restrictive don't come from Apple, it comes from the content owners. So at least *some* of the flack Apple gets about shortcomings in their handling of the Digital Age is, I think, misdirected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said Chas. I think it's easy to forget that in the midst of trying to do the 'right thing' where all parties [in the music industry] are concerned, Apple also has to worry about sustaining the business model which brought them and keeps them on top, in the first place. Now... On the other hand, it would also seem that Apple is in a position to do as they please, and if they really wanted to start an amazing new trend, they could do something amazing for some of the artists which are featured on iTunes.

They could fork over more money to them, for one thing. Or how about this for a crazy idea... Apple Ltd. The new record label/company ! Why not ? Apple could totally cut out the middle man (record company execs such as the likes of Warner, Sony etc.. ) and share even more of the iTunes profits with both known, and new artists alike.

Unfortunately, this is likely a dream which will never rear its head outside of my own. I'm just really curious to know how much more responsibility Apple is going to claim in the digital 'golden age', as the entire business model continues to evolve past what the stupid lawyers and corporate execs can provide, given that they have absolutely ZERO insight in any area beyond their quarterly flow charts.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well said Chas. I think it's easy to forget that in the midst of trying to do the 'right thing' where all parties [in the music industry] are concerned, Apple also has to worry about sustaining the business model which brought them and keeps them on top, in the first place. Now... On the other hand, it would also seem that Apple is in a position to do as they please, and if they really wanted to start an amazing new trend, they could do something amazing for some of the artists which are featured on iTunes.

That's an excellent idea but somehow I suspect the folks over at Apple Records might object. They only just settled their differences with Apple in the last few years. Heck, it would just be easier for Apple Inc to BUY Apple records at this point...

BTW, both Doug b and Chas m have made this a very interesting thread to read.

Reaction score
That's an excellent idea but somehow I suspect the folks over at Apple Records might object. They only just settled their differences with Apple in the last few years. Heck, it would just be easier for Apple Inc to BUY Apple records at this point...

BTW, both Doug b and Chas m have made this a very interesting thread to read.

As much as I wish this would happen, I'm diving the pessimistic pool here and saying that it will probably never happen.

Though..if they did this, Steve Jobs would get his wish. At least I think he would, whatever that wish may be...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.