• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Intel says its Light Peak optical cables may succeed USB

C

chas_m

Interesting detail FTA:
"Still, USB 3.0 is not yet widespread in devices. That is partly because many PC manufacturers will wait on USB 3.0 until support is built directly into the chipsets they buy, which is only expected to happen late next year, according to a research note from In-Stat."

This puts mainstream acceptance of USB3 off until late 2011/early 2012.

Anyone here hoping for USB3 in an Apple device anytime soon -- forget about it.

What's really interesting about Light Peak is that it can handle all different types of data, which conceivably means its very backward-compatible with all kinds of "old" connectors -- Firewire, USB, eSATA, DVI and more. Very exciting if Intel can really bring it to market. I would love to see Apple jump on this, and I have a hunch they will (not anytime soon, though).

Reaction score
Interesting detail FTA:
"Still, USB 3.0 is not yet widespread in devices. That is partly because many PC manufacturers will wait on USB 3.0 until support is built directly into the chipsets they buy, which is only expected to happen late next year, according to a research note from In-Stat."

This puts mainstream acceptance of USB3 off until late 2011/early 2012.

Anyone here hoping for USB3 in an Apple device anytime soon -- forget about it.

What's really interesting about Light Peak is that it can handle all different types of data, which conceivably means its very backward-compatible with all kinds of "old" connectors -- Firewire, USB, eSATA, DVI and more. Very exciting if Intel can really bring it to market. I would love to see Apple jump on this, and I have a hunch they will (not anytime soon, though).

This article talks about the cable type, not the port, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
I may be totally wrong, but wouldn't a cable such as that enable you to connect multiple devices at once if you wanted? It could actually legitimize the economical single port in a Macbook Air or some descendant of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
That IS very interesting. However, as I'm not clever enough to conceive of it, I asked myself a question about something, which someone else whom commented there, already beat me to it:

Nice tech, but how do we power external devices? Before we go to optical connections we need to kill wall warts. The last thing I want is two cables attached to my gadgets.

Right, so... where will devices draw their power from ? It would be incredibly redundant if it required plugging our devices into something else for power.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I've been interested in seeing how Light Peak technology would progress ever since I heard about it awhile back. It has some great potential. I am curious if it will power other devices like USB does but it's not a big issue for me since most of my USB devices already need a separate power cord so I'm used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.