Please Help - email attachments

Reaction score
Hi, my husband recently purchased imac and he is trying to send v important email right now including attachments. He has been dragging and dropping attachments into email - no problem, with exception of one file - that seems to be displayed in email as the open document. How can he change this so its its file attachment like the rest?? Please help he is getting very frustarted! L:Grimmace:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Need some info before we can assist....

Are you using the built in mail program (Mail 4.2) or some other email client?

And, what kind of file attachment is he trying to send?

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Need some info before we can assist....

Are you using the built in mail program (Mail 4.2) or some other email client?

And, what kind of file attachment is he trying to send?

Regards.

Thanks - he is using the standard mail prog - yes 4.2 and he is trying to send PDFs (all scanned docs) - all attached properly with the excpetion of the letter which is scanned too and is showing as the letter open - hope this makes sense and really appreciate help, L

OP
D
Reaction score
sorted...

sorted it - it had to be ctrl key and then click "view as icon". for some reason the one doc was showing as "view in place" - thanks so much for helping, L:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad you got it sorted out. Yes, that's easy to overlook. :D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I don't understand.
You can't drag and drop stuff into Mail messages and have them attach?

C

chas_m

TechieJustin: Of course you can. Try it yourself.

To dowling: Mail is just trying to be helpful. When you attach multi-page items (like PDFs for example), they appear in the email as icons. When you attach single page things (like photos or 1-page documents), they appear "inline" that is on display.

This does not actually affect how the recipient recieves them. Regardless of whether their email client "sees" the files inline or embedded (aka icons), it will still be treated as an attachment in the usual manner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
TechieJustin: Of course you can. Try it yourself.

To dowling: Mail is just trying to be helpful. When you attach multi-page items (like PDFs for example), they appear in the email as icons. When you attach single page things (like photos or 1-page documents), they appear "inline" that is on display.

This does not actually affect how the recipient recieves them. Regardless of whether their email client "sees" the files inline or embedded (aka icons), it will still be treated as an attachment in the usual manner.

Makes sense.
Once I saw 'inline' I understood.

However...
What does "attach Windows friendly" actually do? I have sent stuff to Windows users with and without checking that box in Mail and they don't seem to notice a difference.

Reaction score
Re "View in place/View as icon" - where is that? I've got the same problem sending a PDF as an attachment which I don't want displayed as an inline image, and I can't find View as icon when I right-click on the image in the email. Nothing happens when I click the Control key.

Many thanks!

C

chas_m

Re "View in place/View as icon" - where is that? I've got the same problem sending a PDF as an attachment which I don't want displayed as an inline image, and I can't find View as icon when I right-click on the image in the email. Nothing happens when I click the Control key.

Many thanks!

The control key is a modifier, which means it does nothing in and of itself.

Holding down the control key along with another key (or in this case a mouse click) will product varying results that are different from not holding the control key down.

In this particular case, the control key + click combination is the equivalent of a "right click" and presents you with a contextual menu that includes the "View in Place/View as Icon" options when you do this to an attachment in an email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.