Help! Running Apple TV on an old acrylic 23" Cinema Display?

Reaction score
I need to run Apple TV on a 23" Cinema Display (older Acrylic model, ADC). It's for a presentation, and this is the only option available to me right now, short of buying a TV just for the weekend and then selling it at a loss on Craigslist (which is what I might end up doing if this causes me to tear my hair out). But I thought I'd put the question to you wise people first.

So here's what I have right now:

The 23" Cinema Display is plugged into an ADC to DVI converter brick, then into a little DVI to HDMI adapter, which plugs into the back of the AppleTV unit.

Here's the frustrating problem: when I plug in the Apple TV, I can see the first few seconds of the startup sequence on the monitor, then the screen goes black and the power button on the monitor flashes (not a gentle regular pulse like the sleep light, but three quick flashes in a row).

Why would the connection show up but then disappear? Would it make a difference to use an HDMI to DVI cable instead of the little adapter plug? Should I just give up and resort to the Craigslist option?

This guys seems to have been able to do it, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong: Apple TV: Turn DVI into HDTV; HP Drops Microsoft

Huge thanks in advance for any and all insights.

- Sarah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
The link had nothing on how he did it, and I also noticed the TV in the pic was running an old version. I suspect the issue is with the fact that the TV is running a resolution of 1280x720 and the cinema display is having a hard time with rendering it, perhaps because of all the adapters the signal is going through, but that's just speculation at this point.

If time is of the essence, why not go out and find a cheap computer monitor with HDMI? These are much cheaper than buying a TV, and perhaps you can return it when your done with it? Try a store like *gulp* walmart, they have a no questions asked return policy.

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
The link had nothing on how he did it, and I also noticed the TV in the pic was running an old version. I suspect the issue is with the fact that the TV is running a resolution of 1280x720 and the cinema display is having a hard time with rendering it, perhaps because of all the adapters the signal is going through, but that's just speculation at this point.

If time is of the essence, why not go out and find a cheap computer monitor with HDMI? These are much cheaper than buying a TV, and perhaps you can return it when your done with it? Try a store like *gulp* walmart, they have a no questions asked return policy.

Good luck

Well said , but if you don't want to go down the using it and returning it road why not just try one of the many ' rent to own " places ? I am sure they would have a very short term lease , and no hassle getting you credit card charged back.

Clay

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I think I'll try one more thing (an HDMI to DVI cord instead of an adapter), and when that inevitably doesn't work, I'll give up and get a tv or monitor and get rid of it afterwards.

I really appreciate the help. :)

Reaction score
Ever get it to work?

I know it's been awhile, but I just picked up a 23 inch HD cinema display (adc) and have an apple tv and have been obsessed with somehow getting them to work -- especially because the apple tv works great with another 22 inch cinema display I have (also adc). I've got the apple adc to dvi adapter, and have tried a few adapters and cable combinations, but just get the "promo" thing to show up on the 23 inch and then it goes blank with the three flashes. With the 22 inch, I just use a generic dvi to hdmi adapter and it works -- encouraging me to try and find a way to make the 23 inch do the same. Any two cents or particularly success stories clearly explained would be awesome!

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.