Other computers can't open Word documents I send.

Reaction score
I've been trying to e-mail my resume to a few people, and they keep on saying that the resume comes out non readable. They have dell computers, not macs.

Also, I'm using Word 2008. Please help, I am not computer savvy whatsoever, and I'm really not sure why the can't read the file. [I think they said that when they open it, actually, it is written all weird, or something.]

Reaction score
Not too sure about word 2008 but when u choose to save your resume underneath where you type the file name you want you should see the type of file ur saving whether its .doc .docx or whatever, on windows word 2007 uses .docx as default and alot of ppl using office 2003 cannot view these files properly... Your two options are get a .docx to .doc convertor, or just go to save as again and change from .docx to .doc

Dave

OP
C
Reaction score
I've tried saving is as a .doc.
Right now it is saved as a .doc, but it still can't be read on any other computer?
Should I save it as a pdf?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Saving as a PDF is the best option if they don't need to edit your file which they shouldn't need to if it's a resume. PDFs also allows people to be able to see it exactly the way you have it laid out and especially if you use unique fonts or editing formats such as indenting, etc.

The other way to send it is as a .rtf (rich text format). Just about any word processing software can open these types of files and the formatting is pretty close to the way you have it on your computer. It also allows the receiving person to edit the file in case you are doing a collaboration with them.

As you have noticed Microsoft Office has problems even reading it's own files if they are not from the exact same year software and people have noticed some problems between Mac Office and Windows Office files. It's safer to send people universal files such as .rtf, .txt (if you don't have any special layout formatting), or .pdf.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
I've tried saving is as a .doc.
Right now it is saved as a .doc, but it still can't be read on any other computer?
Should I save it as a pdf?

Strange, I never had that problem.
What are you using to send the resumeé? If you're using Apple Mail do you have the Send Windows friendly Attachment checkbox checked?
You can attach docs on here, try saving a different file as doc and see if we can open it.
Interesting tidbit, with Microsoft's revolutionary XML file compression they actually managed to make the file bigger.
Thanks, MS - but I think you got the idea backwards. Again.
-rw-r--r--@ 1 justin staff 27K Apr 14 15:40 Sample.doc
-rw-r--r--@ 1 justin staff 85K Apr 14 15:40 Sample.docx

Screen shot 2010-04-14 at 3.37.26 PM.jpg

View attachment Sample.doc

Reaction score
this is the only way you should send document is in PDF

Saving as a PDF is the best option if they don't need to edit your file which they shouldn't need to if it's a resume. PDFs also allows people to be able to see it exactly the way you have it laid out and especially if you use unique fonts or editing formats such as indenting, etc.

The other way to send it is as a .rtf (rich text format). Just about any word processing software can open these types of files and the formatting is pretty close to the way you have it on your computer. It also allows the receiving person to edit the file in case you are doing a collaboration with them.

As you have noticed Microsoft Office has problems even reading it's own files if they are not from the exact same year software and people have noticed some problems between Mac Office and Windows Office files. It's safer to send people universal files such as .rtf, .txt (if you don't have any special layout formatting), or .pdf.

This is the best way to send any document it's secure and PDF is for Proable Document File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the best way to send any document it's secure and PDF is for Proable Document File
I definitely prefer PDF when sending and receiving files. Mac has the PDF creation feature built in but Windows doesn't so Windows users still send me Microsoft Office proprietary file formats. It makes it harder for me to open the files correctly...

C

chas_m

Also, make sure the .doc extension IS VISIBLE in the filename before sending. Macs have the option/luxury of hiding the extension, but stupid PCs can't figure this out.

FWIW I send Word-compatible files to PC users all the time, no issues.

Reaction score
Free PDF converters

I definitely prefer PDF when sending and receiving files. Mac has the PDF creation feature built in but Windows doesn't so Windows users still send me Microsoft Office proprietary file formats. It makes it harder for me to open the files correctly...

There are a couple of free pdf converters out there for windows :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
Something is up with Word/Office for Mac 2008. It's super buggy.

Check out another thread with similar issues, except my issues are Mac to Mac (Word 2008 to Word 2004)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are a couple of free pdf converters out there for windows :D
Yes, I know. Trying to get Windows users to try them out is an uphill battle especially if they are not that good with computers. :) What I have noticed is that when a feature is either built in or preinstalled then people tend to use it more often. Just look at how many Windows users still use IE and will not try another web browser. ;)

The biggest problems I have with Microsoft Office files comes up when I want to edit or collaborate with others. Simply opening and reading the files is usually not a problem but when I start editing and making other changes and then sending it back for them to edit is were the problems starts to show itself. All the formatting and other fancy features in Office don't allows translate exactly back and forth. I'm using the Mac Office version also.

Reaction score
Not too sure about word 2008 but when u choose to save your resume underneath where you type the file name you want you should see the type of file ur saving whether its .doc .docx or whatever, on windows word 2007 uses .docx as default and alot of ppl using office 2003 cannot view these files properly... Your two options are get a .docx to .doc convertor, or just go to save as again and change from .docx to .doc

Dave

I've had the above happen - first question I ask the recipient is 'are you using an old version of Word?"

Why MS created .docx is unknown to me. Simply stupid.

Great news however - Google Docs came out with new products recently, and I'm likely going to use that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
.docx nearly has to be your problem

I've been trying to e-mail my resume to a few people, and they keep on saying that the resume comes out non readable. They have dell computers, not macs.

Also, I'm using Word 2008. Please help, I am not computer savvy whatsoever, and I'm really not sure why the can't read the file. [I think they said that when they open it, actually, it is written all weird, or something.]

same thing happened to me.

I think the chap who mentioned the .docx is correct.

I have office 2008 and the default saving is to .docx and unless you have 2008 office/word no one else can read it as .docx is a new file system which bill gates introduced to make even more money...

are you doing this:

when you are in ms word, click on file, then click on save as, this will open a box which has three drop downs in it,

'Save As'

'Where'

'Format'

then click in the 'Format' window, then (select) click on 'Word 97-2004 (.doc)
when you do that the 'Save As' drop down will save automatically. then save it and email it and you should be right. your computer is reading it because you have 2008 which can read .docx

Its annoying isnt it!!!

another way might be is if you have 'Pages' which is the mac WP, as that recognises .docx ('09 version) start Pages, then click file, then click open, then select the file you want to open, then open it, pages will import it and convert it, then it will open in pages, have a check to see it is all there. Then on the tool bar (above your document), select 'share', then click on select via email, then select 'Word' and type in your address and the default for that is .doc so anyone can read it.

try it as i have typed it above and it will work like magic.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.