Bootcamp Windows 7 Fan Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.66Ghz
Hiya,

I'm new to this forum so with this, Hello to everyone, hoping to learn alot here!

I've also got a problem (think you guessed that since im making this thread).

I'm using bootcamp for my work with Windows 7. When I work on mac OSX I can't hear my laptop making a fan noise.
But when I'm using Windows 7 I hear my left fan almost all the time and it's making quite a noise.

I myself think this is a problem of the videocard because I can't tell windows which Videocard to use, the mobile one or the more heavy one.
Is there any way to choose this within windows?

Hope someone has an answer for me!

Thanks In Advance
//SterAllures

EDIT: I Just noticed I posted this problem in the wrong thread. Could someone move this to Windows, Classic, Linux, and Other OS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I myself think this is a problem of the videocard because I can't tell windows which Videocard to use, the mobile one or the more heavy one.
Is there any way to choose this within windows?

There is no way to choose which GPU to use when in Windows. As for the fan speeding up while in Windows, this is normal. I find that when I boot to Windows 7 my fan speed goes up for awhile and then slows down. Also, Windows 7 may be doing some background tasks (checking updates, downloading virus definitions, etc.) which cause the speeding up of the fan.

If you play any kind of games in Windows that are graphic intensive, the fan(s) will speed up and remain that way as long as you're playing.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.66Ghz
Thanks for your reply!

But do you know which Graphics Card Windows 7 in bootcamp it default uses(Mobile one or the heavier one)?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.66Ghz

I find it so weird there isn't any possibility to switch cards. that will mean that you can't game while you're on Windows and also not when you're on mac because not alot of games come out for it ;p.

Isn't there anyone who made a fix for it? Maybe 3rd party software?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's something Apple has to address (if they wish). That will become even more apparent as the new MacBook Pro 15" and 17" machines begin to sell widespread. The new Intel HD GPU which resides on the CPU itself along with the nVidia GPU are choices - actually selected automatically - in OS X. But as far as I know, it doesn't when in Windows.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.