Gigabit Ethernet

Reaction score
I have a Airport Extreme Router which I believe is capable of Gigabit Ethernet speed. I confirmed this is by clicking on the Airport Utility in the Utilities Folder which indicated that it found an Airport Extreme with 802.11n (Gigabit Ethernet).

I also have an iMac (Intel) with a Marvel Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8055 Singleport Copper SA. This information was obtained from 'About this Mac' and clicking on 'More Info' and then Ethernet Cards. The iMac is hard wired to my Airport Extreme with Cat5E cable

I also have a 2TB NetGear RND2120 ReadyNAS Duo which again is connected directly to my Airport Extreme with Cat5E cable.

When I run the Network Utility and select the Ethernet option it tells me that my link speed is 100Mbit/s.

Also if I open Preferences and select Network and then the Advanced option and the the Ethernet Tab it confirms that my speed is only 100baseTX. If I configure manually and then set the speed to 1000baseT it gives the Status as Cable Unplugged together with the following message 'Either the cable for Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding'

My question is, how can I get Gigabit Ethernet on my setup?

Cheers

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're going to need to try changing the two cables being used, one at a time, and see which one is causing the issue.

Reaction score
I'm having identical issues in a similiar infrastructure. (I'm using a TrendNet TEW639GR router in a Mac/PC environment, but the Mac scenario, including the Marvel Yukon gigabit card, the 100TX speed, and the cable unplugged message when you manually switch it to 1000TX, is the same.) I move large files over my network, mostly from the PC and the Mac to a NAS, so I recently switched them back to a wired connection to take advantage of the gigabit speed.

I've been playing with this for two weeks. This is what I've found...

As for solutions to get the Marvel Yukon to do gigabit, there doesn't seem to be much about it online. Either you and I are the only ones having this problem, or no one else cares. All the kexts I've found are older than the one that's currently loaded, and I haven't found anything else to try.

I even went to a Belkin Gigabit USB adapter. It did give me gigabit speed, after a typical screwing with the settings session, but would fall asleep after some as yet undetermined amount of inactivity - and it did this repeatedly over a 24-hour period, requiring a manual reset each time. In addition, I could no longer see the Mac from my PC, and vice-versa, no matter how I configured either one. I'm waiting for an Arkview Gigabit USB adapter to be delivered today - seemingly the only other one with (commercially available) Mac drivers...

That's where I'm at. Anyone????

OP
E
Reaction score
Problem sorted

I've solved my problem and I've now got gigabit ethernet. I have recently refurbished my flat and installed cat 5 wiring from a central location to my lounge and study etc. I had the Airport Extreme at the central location patched into RG45 sockets which were connected to my cat 5 wiring system. At the other end I had my iMac plugged into the cat 5 wiring. So basically from the iMac I had a short patch lead to the RG45 wall socket which was connected to the cat 5 wiring. I had a short (300mm) patch lead from the RG45 the other end which was connected to my Airport Extreme.

I played around with the patch lead and I found that the short patch leads to the Airport Extreme, that I recently purchased from Amazon, did not support Gbit ethernet. I swapped these over and I now have Gbit ethernet from my iMac to my Netgear ReadyNAS. My initial concern was that the cat 5 wiring that I recently installed did not support Gbit ethernet speed but now I've proven that it does.

Great...

Reaction score
so it IS the cable

About a week ago I came to the same conclusion - I realized there was a CAT5 cable between the Mac and the router - the cable that worked fine in 100TX mode (and with the Belkin Gigabit adapter) - and it was keeping the internal Marvel Yukon from working in the 1000TX mode...very embarrasing!!! A CAT6 cable solved the problem immediately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.