• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Question about selling a macbook

Reaction score
So im thinking about upgrading to a macbook pro from a macbook since i cant get used to the small screen always had a 15-17' screen which i like.

Anyways ive got my mac listed on CL and now-and-then i get a real person who wants to buy it but alot of people wants the serial my question is should i give this out i seem to recall that a couple years about the MBP had some battery issues and apple sent out replacements to affected units and you had to give them your serial number also i have phone support and such so can anyone just call up apple and put in support tickets so when i call or the new owner calls could cause issues???

Or am i just being paranoid??

Also theres alot of princes/princess'/kings/queens/humanitarians/ out there esp in nigeria.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Number 1- Punctuation would make that paragraph about 10x easier to read/understand.

2- I don't see why it would be bad to give out the serial number. I can see why they would ask; they probably want to know when it was manufactured. Afaik, the original Macbooks are pretty undesirable because of the defects they initially had.. You know, overheating, odd noises, etc..

I don't think there is anything else useful they could get from it, other than to make sure you're not lying about the specs of the machine.

Someone correct me if im wrong. And I agree, I've had my netbook on craigslist for not even 12 hours and all I'm getting is emails about Timmy in Sudan with a busted laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The serial number question could possibly be, or I should say, is a valid question for one who wants to make sure that it's not stolen or lost (reported stolen or lost).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.