Macbook Pro Keyboard and Trackpad randomly switching off

Reaction score
Recently, my macbook pro (bought it at the end of 2007) suddenly started acting up regarding the build in keyboard and the trackpad. They will suddenly end up unresponsive but any USB keyboard and mouse will still work. Now I read about this having to do with a bit of wire behind the battery compartment but I haven't really tried taping that back in place.

Instead I found that by gently pressing down above the trackpad, the trackpad and keyboard will start working again.

A thing that did strike me as odd, was that whenever I'd reboot my Macbook, the keyboard/trackpad would work again without me having to pressure anything.

Now, this is annoying but I could live with it. The thing that worries me though, is the fact that when I tilt my macbook slightly at times I will hear the typical HD booting noise, followed by my keyboard/trackpad that stop working.

Could these these problems be linked or am I dealing with just a whole lot of hardware failures at once?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my DVD drive has stopped working a long time ago, refusing to read discs and making some quite nasty noises when they're inserted. This happened from one day on the other as well and this laptop hasn't been handled roughly. Since the trackpad problem appeared, I've also experienced random "Eject" commands appearing - and really I'm not skilled enough to hit the eject button all the time ... It has been going through ejection cycles when put to sleep, which have been fixed by opening and closing it again.

... it sure sounds like this macbook is falling apart but aside of all this it works perfectly fine so I just wonder what's wrong. *chuckles*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.18MHz
My keyboard and trackpad also started making a similar thing. Actually it will become unresponsive and after a few seconds it will start working normally. This began after I dropped the bag were I was carrying it. I'm not sure if it had anything to do. If anyone has experienced a similar problem what was the solution, perhaps the changing of the keyboard for a new one, or as *chuckles* says, tape back the cables.

thanks
Raul

OP
S
Reaction score
should harlot

The amount of money I'd have to pay to get this fixed at the Mac House here (and really, I don't have a single good worth for them in the Netherlands and how they've treated other machines of mine) is insane, so the tape solution may be the best option for now.

Because they did tell me I'd have to get my entire bottom case replaced to fix the wiring problem ... Quite odd as I've heard other people say that all Apple did was put some tape on the wire.

Like I said though, carefully pressing down on the metal strip above the trackpad fixes it in my case. There will be one or a couple of soft 'clicks' and it'll work once again. Perhaps not the most gentle solution but if you're in the middle of something and you find your mac starts messing up it's the fastest one.

On the other hand ... this still leaves me at a loss about the way the random HD noises + Disc Ejections are related to this, I've decided they're all different aspects of my hardware failing, all at once but all of them are known mac issues it'd seem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm resurrecting this because I experienced an unresponsive trackpad AND keyboard today on my MBP. I would like to see if anyone knows how/why this happens and what the solution could be.

I wish I had thought to try my wireless mouse when it happened but I was in a state of shock/panic.

I restarted holding down the power button, inserted my SL DVD and restarted from there. Then ran Disk Utility from the DVD, verified and repaired permissions, verified and repaired disk. The trackpad and keyboard were fine once I restarted but I thought it best to run D.U. From the SL DVD right away.

I'm currently backing up my MBP with TM and CCC, while typing this from my iPad. I really hope it's just the HDD cause that's an easy and affordable solution.
My MBP's specs are in my details. I'm running SL 10.6.4 and Safari 5.

Thanks in advance. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.