OS 10.4.10 Install from Bundled Disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 20", 2 GB Ram, 233 GB HD, Running 10.4.11
I bought an iMac on Ebay with no system software. It's an Intel Core Duo. I figured I could load the software that was bundled with my MacBook- wrong! Is there a way to do this, or do I have to purchase Tiger?

Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought an iMac on Ebay with no system software. It's an Intel Core Duo. I figured I could load the software that was bundled with my MacBook- wrong! Is there a way to do this, or do I have to purchase Tiger?

Dave

You need to purchase Mac OS software of some sort...could be Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard (10.4, 10.5, 10.6).

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to purchase Mac OS software of some sort...could be Tiger, Leopard, or Snow Leopard (10.4, 10.5, 10.6).

- Nick

Thanks Nick, that's what I thought. I was just trying to save a couple of bucks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anybody out there want to sell a 10.4.4 or later unbundled operating system software?

Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anybody out there want to sell a 10.4.4 or later unbundled operating system software?

Dave

Good luck...they sell for around $100 on e-Bay.:(

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck...they sell for around $100 on e-Bay.:(

- Nick

Now I know (the hard way) why I got the computer so cheap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Thanks Nick, that's what I thought. I was just trying to save a couple of bucks.

First rule of computing...there is NO SUCH THING as saving a couple of bucks! You do need to look for full retail install discs and Snow Leopard OS X.6 would be the best option. Also be aware if you decide to use Tiger, some versions were PPC only and cannot be installed on Intel machines.

Whatever you purchase, make sure it is a black coloured disc and not the silver grey system install discs sold under a dozen different names on auction sites. With your new machine Snow Leopard new from Apple would be the best option.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I know (the hard way) why I got the computer so cheap!

Many many used Macintosh computers will come with some version of the Mac OS installed on them (some won't if the previous owner wiped the hard drive).

I just purchased (within the last 2 weeks) a couple OLDER Macintosh's for like $10 each. Both of them had an operating system on them. You just have to verify this before purchasing.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First rule of computing...there is NO SUCH THING as saving a couple of bucks! You do need to look for full retail install discs and Snow Leopard OS X.6 would be the best option. Also be aware if you decide to use Tiger, some versions were PPC only and cannot be installed on Intel machines.

Whatever you purchase, make sure it is a black coloured disc and not the silver grey system install discs sold under a dozen different names on auction sites. With your new machine Snow Leopard new from Apple would be the best option.

The reason I want the older Tiger version of the software was so I could use my Creative Suite 3 software, unless it will run on Snow Leopard??

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I guess I should have started with this forum before the purchase. It's really a shame because the computer is in pristine condition. I mean no wear whatsoever.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I get why Apple doesn't offer or sell the older operating systems but how about this scenario; your Mac bombs and you go to restore the system software with the disks that came with your computer and you discover your dog used them for Frisbee practice. Will Apple offer replacement disks or downloads of the older operating systems if you provide the machine serial number?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Call Apple online, and see..... They may be able to provide you with machine specific replacement discs if you supply the serial number.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I get why Apple doesn't offer or sell the older operating systems but how about this scenario; your Mac bombs and you go to restore the system software with the disks that came with your computer and you discover your dog used them for Frisbee practice. Will Apple offer replacement disks or downloads of the older operating systems if you provide the machine serial number?

Give Apple a call. Sometimes they will be able to send you replacement disks for a small $15-$20 dollar fee. But since OS 10.4 is getting a bit old...who knows.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
hehe ....gotta be quicker with that post tab Nick :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news. Went to the local Apple store and the loaded the operating software of my choice, and did all the updates for NO CHARGE!!!!!!!! Took about 1 1/2 hours. Machine works perfectly now and my faith in the Apple company has been sealed forever. The only thing left to do is call Applecare and order restore disks that will work for this computer in the future.

Try to do this with a PC and it would cost you a fortune.

Dave
Mac user since 1986

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news. Went to the local Apple store and the loaded the operating software of my choice, and did all the updates for NO CHARGE!!!!!!!! Took about 1 1/2 hours. Machine works perfectly now and my faith in the Apple company has been sealed forever.

WOW...I haven't heard of that before! Apple has really good customer service.

- What OS did you install?
- What exactly happened at the Apple Store?
- What was the conversation like with whomever helped you?

Seems like this would be an interesting story...I for one have not heard of someone being able to do this.

Thanks a bunch,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,
I installed Tiger 10.4.11 with all the current updates.
We (my prepress guy and I) made an appointment for 10:00 AM at the Short Hills, NJ Apple store. We arrived at 9:45 and the store was already open. An associate confirmed who we were and our appointment time and asked us to wait at the counter. At 10:00 a "Genius" asked if he could help. I told him I bought this computer with no operating system so he said, "No Problem, what version do you want to install?" I said I would like Tiger 10.4.11. Again he said "No problem". He proceeded to attach a drive that has every System version and selected 10.4.11. After installation he asked, "Do you want me to do all the updates?" Of course I said yes. He advised us that this might take some time but, I thought this would go much faster with their internet connection as opposed to my meager DSL. We were out of the store by 11:30 and back to work by 12:00 noon.

The overall experience was, dare I say, fun. And I had an hour and a half to play with all the new Apple products. One thing I might advise anyone with a similar situation is to go during the week, first thing in the morning. You get to chose the expert you want and there is less disruption. In fact, when things started to get busy, our "Genius" asked if he could move to another customer while our machine was loading . This was no big deal since you have to wait for everything to load anyway.

So, for those who purchased a used computer with no operating system, or have lost or destroyed their restore disks, the Apple Store has the solution. I can't believe how easy (and cheap) it was to do!

Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats Dave...that's pretty cool!:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

The reason I want the older Tiger version of the software was so I could use my Creative Suite 3 software, unless it will run on Snow Leopard??

Creative Suite 3 runs fine on Snow Leopard (I use it every day). It will obviously have to be re-installed from your original discs, but it works fine.

At $30 retail, Snow Leopard is your best option. You should strongly consider the Mac Box Set (which includes iLife 09 and iWork 09) in order to get everything (and more) that the Mac should have come with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.