How Can I Fix This?

Reaction score
I just updated from OSx 10.4 to 10.6. I'm hating 10.6 more than anything right now. It does weird things and I'm hoping someone here can help me. They're not big problems but they're annoying to deal with and I never had these problems in 10.4.

1) Every time I reboot/shutdown my computer and I click on any folder or my external, all the files are scattered in that folder. None of them stay organized. I like to arrange by kind and have to do this every time I open a folder after a reboot or start up.

2) When I want to attach a file via Gmail, it won't go to the previous folder I just opened a file from. Generally when I'm attaching files, I'm attaching more than one from the same folder. THIS IS SUPER ANNOYING. Especially when I have to scroll a ways to find the folder over and over and over. 10.4 would always open up to the previous folder I attached a file from.

I tried to find some help regarding this but I can't find any. Again, not huge problems but they really disrupt the work flow. If anyone knows a quick fix around this that would be awesome.

Thanks!
Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
THIS IS SUPER ANNOYING.

As are thread titles that are too generic. Please identify the subject in your title. If you have two unrelated items, create a thread for each one and tell us what each is about in your titles. Please, please, please!

1) Scattered how? Is there a pattern, or does it seem to be random?
What is checked/selected in Show View Options?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
1) Every time I reboot/shutdown my computer and I click on any folder or my external, all the files are scattered in that folder. None of them stay organized. I like to arrange by kind and have to do this every time I open a folder after a reboot or start up.

Thanks!
Tim

When you are in a folder you want to arrange...go to the "View" drop down menu...then choose "Show View Options"...then adjust the options as you wish.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
It's random. One file will be a few scrolls down, another will be a scroll or two to the side. They're all over the place. It's only when I reboot/restart. Doing the show view options works as long as I don't restart. It's just weird that it's doing this. It won't save my preferences. I'd prefer NOT to have to do this every time I reboot and open up any new folder/device.

Upgrade my eye!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try replacing your com.apple.finder.plist file

Find it in ~/Library/Preferences
Move it to the Desktop
Restart

Hope that works, and maybe someone will weigh in on your other question...

Reaction score
Open Finder... goto preferences and set the view options... they are global and will update everything as you wish. Try it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, but post #6 is not accurate. You cannot set view options from Preferences. <--That is a specific menu item: Finder > Preferences ...so maybe it's just a terminology mistake.

View Options are set in Show View Options, in the View Menu, or command-J. And, they are not necessarily global. If you click Use as Defaults after you get it set the way you want, then those settings become global. Otherwise, only enclosed folders will conform to those choices.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.