Should I upgrade?

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I went out and purchased a new Macbook Pro 17" from my local Apple store. Now I just heard that they released a new better version today. I called my local store and they said I could exchange and pay the difference. My question to this forum is, is it worth it? Will the new i5 make a noticable difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i5? I would never get the 17" without the i7(which is optional for it)! I'm currently contemplating almost the same thing with my 15" that's about 12 months old. I love the new specs, but it would be foolish of me to waste money on upgrading something that really hasn't given me a lot of problems, or has even let me reach it's peak performance(what it was designed to do…) yet. In your case, I would consider the exchange because, depending on which 17" model price you have, you might get away with paying little to nothing extra for something that is better than what you have.
The only reason I wish to upgrade is just so I can have a better graphics card, my battery has been excellent, and my processor(2.4ghz) has not left me wanting more! The 330m with 512 memory is making me drool though…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
If I had the chance and the extra money for it I probably would yes. Although I'd get the i7 chip.

I'm happy enough with mine though, the new one is 1.1x faster in Aperture so I'd hardly notice that! :D

OP
A
Reaction score
I went in to my local Apple store to see what they had on hand. They didn't have any 17" Pros with the i7. Then they offered me the price difference on what the new model costs now. I decided to take the $330. I don't do anything but music and web sufring so i figured the extra power wasn't necessary.

Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Better graphics, faster, etc
It really depends on what you do, but if I could afford it, I certainly would, even if I didn't need the enhancements, if anything, just for long term resale value!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
If you had wanted the i7 with a 17" model, you would have had to get a custom configuration as it doesn't have the i7 as standard.

OP
A
Reaction score
Had a change of heart after pricing out some new 17". Just ordered the new version online today and returned mine at the store.
New Specs.

2.66GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRM - 2X2GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400
SuperDrive 8X DL
MBP 17" HR Glossy WS Display
No iWork preinstalled
No Final Cut Express preinstd
No Aperture Preinstalled
No Logic Express Preinstalled
No FileMaker Preinstalled
No MSO preinstalled
No DVI Adapter
No VGA Adapter
Keyboard/Users Guide
Country Kit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
You've got yourself a hellof a computer there mate. Hope you enjoy it :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.