Buying a Mac for first time - need help with specs

Reaction score
Hello,

I'd be very grateful for any assistance or help.

My PC has just blown up and I am looking to swtich to a mac for the first time. I mainly need a computer for music production (amateur). I also have Cubase 5 and Halion Orchestra which I would like to install.

I've been looking at the iMac 27-inch (the cheaper model) and was wondering whether this would be suitable.

Generally my music will normally have around 20+ midi tracks, plus guitar and vocals.

Alternatively I was thinking of upgrading either the processor or the memory (from i5 to i7, or from 4gb to 8gb). I can't afford to upgrade both, so which would be the best option if necessary for music production?

Many thanks in advance,
A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I don't know anything about music production, but if you can afford the upgrade, I would go with the i5 or the i7 processor. When using applications that are written to take advantage of multi-core processors, it is a good performance boost. I have the i5 and it blows away my old C2D PC using the Mac versions of the same apps I used on the PC. You can always upgrade the RAM yourself later for less than what Apple would charge to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That Mac will be fine for your needs

AS for upgrading, the processor is socketed but you will void the warranty changing it out

But RAM is another matter, spec the standard RAM install from Apple, and upgrade the RAM yourself.

Taking them apart is tricky, but there is an excellent guide here

iMac Intel 27" Teardown - iFixit

OP
N
Reaction score
That's helpful thanks.

So if I wanted the faster processor, better to do it upfront.

I may go with the basic model then, if it should be powerful enough

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.