hard drive warning message

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, and I am relatively new to Macs...I have a bunch of photos and videos on my MacBook Pro, and I'm now getting a message telling me my hard drive is almost full. Is there a quick and easy way to scan my drive and select files, programs, etc. for deletion so I can re-gain some drive space? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi, this is my first post, and I am relatively new to Macs...I have a bunch of photos and videos on my MacBook Pro, and I'm now getting a message telling me my hard drive is almost full. Is there a quick and easy way to scan my drive and select files, programs, etc. for deletion so I can re-gain some drive space? Thanks in advance!

I agree with trying Disk Inventory X since it's free. However, the better solution to your disk being full is to simply purchase a larger faster hard drive. At today's prices for large fast hard drives, there should never be a reason to run out of disk space. Even a large external hard drive would be better. Why delete files when it would be easier to move them?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
What size of hard drive do you have now? I thought the MBPs shipped with at least 160 GB, but I guess I can see filling that up rather quickly. I agree with chscag, however, that a new internal or even an external drive is a better idea than deleting files and waiting for some more to come along and deleting them too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2 2GB
C

chas_m

Disk Inventory X is fine, I also like another free one called Grand Perspective. Unlike some others, I don't think endlessly upgrading to the next largest hard drive size is a viable long-term solution. The real solution is a modicum of file management.

For example: I have two iTunes libraries. A large one that's stored on an external drive, and a subset of my favourite tunes that's actually on the boot drive of my laptop. When I'm on the go, I don't need every song I own with me at all times, so I use the subset. When I'm home, I option-click and choose the larger library and have everything available to me. Saves a TON of HD space on my 320GB laptop boot drive.

You can do the same thing for photo libraries (if you use iPhoto), and movies. There's no need to carry everything with you all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.