SendMail configuration

Reaction score
Hello,

I was asked by a friend to help them solve a problem with a CGI app running on a Mac server. While I have almost 30 years in software, the Mac has not been a significant part of my experience.

The issue concerns the applications sending of email notification as part of a process. I can see authentication failures in the "mail" console log. However, when I use Finder and Spotlight to try and find the file containing the email address and server listed in the error messages, the searches turn up nothing.

I can see from the code that the app is using SendMail ("Open ("bin/sendmail..."), but I can find the configuration or the directory. I read that SendMail is usually configured by a Root user and that the files may be hidden to other users. Is this likely? (I would just login as Root and check, but they are having trouble locating the password :Angry-Tongue: ;D)

Thank you!!

Take care,
Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You didn't say which version of the server you are using. Apple has many documents online so perhaps something like the Snow Leopard Server docs will be helpful.

OP
S
Reaction score
General hinding

Good point! :).. the version is 10.5.4.

I will take a look, thank you.

I read posts about where the SendMail config info should be stored, but I don't see the directory or file on the server. Could the developer have setup the application while logged in as Root and set the directories so they can't be viewed by other users?

Thanks,
Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I haven't worked with OS X Server, but I think it may follow the desktop version convention of having root disabled. Apple has a lot of GUI tools to configure Server. By default on the desktop of OS X, the first created user is given administrator privileges.

The Finder and Spotlight are probably blind to the system folders of interest. Try using the 'find' command from within Terminal.

I would consider calling the developer for any passwords and path knowledge. There should be some bloody documentation. Your friend needs to tighten up his ship.

OP
S
Reaction score
Will post

Thank you very much for the info. I'll use the terminal find approach and post back if this leads me to the information.

I have been out of development for a while, but your point is excellent. I don't know the person who wrote the app, but you're right, documentation is key.

OP
S
Reaction score
Found 'em

Using this method did reveal the information I was looking for.. thank you. You'd think they would just put a bloody check box in the options so no one would have to deal in the ick of the Unix command line workd :D

Take care,
Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is a way to allow Finder to browse those folders, but I can't remember how to change that default. It is probably a command line to set it.

You can choose from the Go menu under Finder 'Go to Folder...' and enter a path.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.