• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPad competition, the German " wePad"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A lot of these may appeal to the current netbook owners and a few of those interested in a tablet PC. Don't believe any of them will have the same appeal to a large portion of the iPad buyers (myself included) due to only one reason... weight...

The iPad is already a touch on the heavy side. It really could stand to lose another half pound. You start doubling the weight of it to the 2.5 to 4 lbs most of these are coming in at, it is just makes them uncomfortable for the vast majority.

To truly rival the iPad, they're going to have to get under the 2 lb weight and offer the battery life. Without that, they're just a netbook without a keyboard.

The technology just doesn't exist yet for this to happen. We are seeing the real beginning of a new area in computing though, and who knows where it will end up in another 4-5 or even 10 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
If I really wanted a tablet PC, I'd dish out the money for a ModBook over any of the iPad "rivals".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.