Printer Found on Wireless Network, But Not Printing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB
I am trying to print a text document in OpenOffice using OS 10.6. The printer is an HP OfficeJet Pro A909g Series. It is connected to the network, and printer sharing is turned on. The document is sent to the queue, the printer icon shows in the dock. The status message in the printer window says Printing 'Untitled1' "Connected to Printer" and it never prints. I don't understand why if it's connected and it is configured properly it just won't print.

I do have the firewall turned on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Can you plug into the USB and print directly? That will tell you if it is a driver issue or if it is a network issue.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Snow Leopard 10.6 iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, Hitachi HDT721 640GB
Can you plug into the USB and print directly? That will tell you if it is a driver issue or if it is a network issue.

Yes, it prints when plugged in directly. I can also print remotely from both a laptop and a desktop pc running Windows OS(es).

Also, there is no router configured on the network, just a wireless modem from my ISP.

I apologize for the time delay of reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you tell the queue from the Windows OSes? And what is the printer model and manufacturer?

The wireless modem is probably a 2wire and acts is your router.

Do you know the ip address of the printer? Can you ping the printer?

I have had trouble with my HP when I installed it - then changed the ip address.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you tell the queue from the Windows OSes? And what is the printer model and manufacturer?

The wireless modem is probably a 2wire and acts is your router.

Do you know the ip address of the printer? Can you ping the printer?

I have had trouble with my HP when I installed it - then changed the ip address.

It's an HP Officejet 8500 A909g.

The IP address I believe is 192.168.0.4

What information do you specifically need from the queue from Windows?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry eh - I did read the model in the first post - I just forgot. The HP wireless printers have been a pain to get setup. I had to use the setup disk from HP so it found the proper printer.

I don't know what version of Windows you have - but you can go to Printers and Faxes - select the printer -> right click -> properties - You can look at general and ports - see if they match your mac.

When it comes to the HP wireless printers your best bet is to get the install disks out and run through setup again and select the proper printer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry eh - I did read the model in the first post - I just forgot. The HP wireless printers have been a pain to get setup. I had to use the setup disk from HP so it found the proper printer.

I don't know what version of Windows you have - but you can go to Printers and Faxes - select the printer -> right click -> properties - You can look at general and ports - see if they match your mac.

When it comes to the HP wireless printers your best bet is to get the install disks out and run through setup again and select the proper printer.

All of the IP addresses are the same. Also, something to point out is that I can scan remotely to my mac. I just can't print

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.