Can't Update after Re-Install of OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Macbook Pro 17" - C2D 2.5 ghz - 4gb ram
I recently had a Font Issue, that I resolved and reset permissions using "pacifist" When I restarted my computer would only get as far as the "space-star" screen and no log in. I booted with the SL OS disk and re-installed Snow Leopard. Everything seems to run fine now, but I can't update to 10.6.3. I am stuck in 10.6 in system info, yet when I check for installed updates, it show everything up to 10.6.3. I can get to the update install package, but when I hit install it goes blue and then back to gray every time. Any clues?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
Download and install OnyX and run the automation tab to repair disk permissions, clean out your caches, etc. and then try to download and install this
Let us know how that goes for you.

OP
Tenth Floor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks... in progress

Thanks for the tip... I working through it now. Keep ya posted!

OP
Tenth Floor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No work

I used Onyx to clean everything out then do the software update, says I need to install 10.6.3 v1.1 but won't instal, tried to install starting at 10.6.1 and still nothing. Is there a way to clean out system volume or boot up in Snow Leopard to repair installation or start over. Maybe remove previous updates?

*I'm attaching screen shots of what I'm talking about

Screen shot 2010-04-12 at 10.25.22 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-04-12 at 10.27.02 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Do you have a time machine backup from before it all went pair shaped?
That could be the best solution.

Otherwise, if it were me, I would actually save myself form all the troubleshooting, and boot from SL disc, zero out the HD, and then install SL again.
Then I would go straight to the combo updater that I linked above, and then....... assuming everything is back to running normal, use migration assistant to transfer docs, movies, music, pics, but not the user settings and preferences.
and then reinstall 3rd party apps direct from vendors, and from install discs.

OP
Tenth Floor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was hoping not to wipe and re-install

I was hoping there might have been an easier solutions to wiping and installing. I am a graphic designer and have all my adobe software on, prefs set in pallets and tons of other color matching software for print.... Might be the only option though. I think I might try The Genius Bar at Mac. Appreciate the help, anybody else feel free to let me know some ideas. Much Appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't know if this would help, but you could try moving com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist (one is found in user/library/preferences and the other is in HD/library/preferences) to the desktop and rebooting and try again.
If that works, just delete the .plists, if not, just move them back to replace the new ones that were created.

C

chas_m

Do you have a time machine backup from before it all went pair shaped?

I don't mean to be the phrase police, but the term is "pear-shaped" as in the funky shape of a pear. Just FYI for future reference. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't mean to be the phrase police, but the term is "pear-shaped" as in the funky shape of a pear. Just FYI for future reference. :)
Well caught Officer Chas :)
Yes, I meant pear shaped!

A pear is a funky shaped fruit
A pair is a couple
A couple is 2, and 3 is a few.
Phew..... :D

OP
Tenth Floor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stil no work... hmmmmmm Anybody else have an idea? It's probably so ridiculously easy, that none of us are even thinking about it... for that matter we're over thinking it....

OP
Tenth Floor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*update*

After getting into single user mode and fixing errors over and over, I then restarted in boot (safe) mode and deleted receipts. Finally it allowed me to install the updates... I'm up and Running X.6.3 v1.1 Thanks All!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.