Should I wait??

H

HellasLEAF

I was looking at getting the rev b iMac 20inch but with the announcement of Apple's switch to Intel in the coming year(s) I am thinking about waiting now. Or does it now matter?

I only have the money for one machine, one that I want to last for years and years and years and I have the patience to wait.

Should I wait for the intel iMac? or just go ahead with it?

OP
I

iMe

It depends on how your gonna use it, and how many apps you may buy for it. If you just want a mac for web browsing, and e-mail etc...then get something like mac mini, and then hold off for something big after the transition phase is over. But If you already have a mac, then I would hold off........just my .0001 cents.

OP
C

Cloudane

Tough decision. I've been all doom and gloom over this, but then again Apple have proved time and time again that they know what they're doing.

To be on the safe side I'll say this...

If you don't want to upgrade 4 years later, don't bother. In 4 years time Apple will be well down the Intel road, most Mac users will be on it already, and they'll be pushing to stop support for PPC (just like they're pushing to stop support for Classic/OS9).

BUT - that said, anything can happen in 4 years. Anything. Go for what you want today, perhaps?

OP
Z

zap2

Cloudane said:
Tough decision. I've been all doom and gloom over this, but then again Apple have proved time and time again that they know what they're doing.

To be on the safe side I'll say this...

If you don't want to upgrade 4 years later, don't bother. In 4 years time Apple will be well down the Intel road, most Mac users will be on it already, and they'll be pushing to stop support for PPC (just like they're pushing to stop support for Classic/OS9).

BUT - that said, anything can happen in 4 years. Anything. Go for what you want today, perhaps?

No apple made some big mistaeks in the past( thats why the have like1.8% of computer market) this could be good it could be bad, we will see.

OP
M

menace3054

zap2 said:
No apple made some big mistaeks in the past( thats why the have like1.8% of computer market) this could be good it could be bad, we will see.

even though they are going to have intel by 06, they arent going to be solely intel until end of 07, beginning of 08.. believe me, lots of us, including myself, just spent a few thousand on a powerpc, and most of us wont be buying an intel machine right away. id get it now if i was you

OP
C

Cloudane

The way I see it, even if it's useless in 4-5 years time (which ANY computer can be) - you might as well make use of the awesomeness whilst it's there :)

Reaction score
Get it now. By the time the transition is complete, you will be ready for a new computer anywa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
if my comp is useless after 4-5 years im going to call apple a bad name, then tell them how mad i am. of course then ill have to buy a new mac, so i guess we both win, i let out my anger and they sell me a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Cloudane said:
The way I see it, even if it's useless in 4-5 years time (which ANY computer can be) - you might as well make use of the awesomeness whilst it's there :)

"Awesomeness" is actually a word! It's in the dictionary!

Anyway, most computers will be considered obsolete within 2-3 years. The cheapest computer today can beat a great computer from 3 years ago.

Yet, a 386 still does everything it was designed to do. 2 years from now, my Mac will still work the exact same way it does now, there will just be a better version out by then.

With Xcode 2.1 able to make fat binaries (programs that work on intel and PPC) and rosetta (allows PPC compiled apps to run on intosh)

Me? I think I will upgrade to the newest Intel iMac whenever it arrives.

Apple has thought this out, I have learned after watching the keynote, in fact, they have planned for this contingency for 5 years, since OS X was released! I was worried, until I watched the keynote address, but know I am confident in Apple. Go ahead and get the iMac now, it will do what it is designed to do for a long while. Of course if you want to wait 2 years, go ahead....maybe a mini now and then save for the "intosh" 2 years later?

OP
C

Cloudane

"Awesomeness" is actually a word! It's in the dictionary!

LOL.. I thought you were being sarcastic, but it *is* on dictionary.com - yikes :) I'll have to find a new make-up word like... Fabulifficness.

Good points though, even though it will be obsolete (like any 4 year old computer) doesn't mean it'll be 'useless'. Even the old Mac Classics have a use. And how long's it been now since they started the transition to OS X? Yet you can still get OS 9 versions of most apps. So I think just go for it, I would, now having a slightly more balanced view of things than yesterday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.