Guest Account can see my files, but why

Reaction score
hi i´m using os 10.6.3 and today i need to give my mac to a friend and activate the guest account but i check the finder and see that i can find my doc, pic, videos and everything in the mac.
the thing is why have a guest account is they can have all access to the hard drive is there is a way i can control what the can see or limit the access to the files

i remember in win xp the guest account don´t have access to another user data is strange in mac the can

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's all in the permissions. If you have access for "Everyone" set to Read-only (or Read/Write), then yes… "Everyone" means exactly that (well, except for yourself). You can correct this by setting the permissions to "No Access" for Everyone.

If you want users on your computer other than the Guest to see these folders, then set permissions for Everyone to "No Access", then set those folders up as shared folders and turn off the option for the Guest account to access shared folders.

EDIT: An alternative to setting up folders as "shared" for viewing by users other than Guest would be to add specific users to the list of permissions and giving them access.

Also... to modify permissions, right-click on a folder (or file) and hit "Get Info". At the bottom, you can adjust the permissions. There's an additional option in the drop-down box to propagate those permissions to everything contained in that folder. I forget the exact wording... I'm not on a Mac at the moment. :(

Reaction score
Guest account shouldn't normally be able to see another users files.
Another possible solution might be to create a brand new account for your friend (without admin rights).
However if the problem is with your home folder itself this will not solve the problem.
Did you migrate the home folder from another computer or something as this depending on how its done leave the permissions a bit funny.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Any account will be able to see other account data, unless you do as suggested and change the everyone permissions. One thing the guest guest account buy you is that when the user logs out. All of the data that was created is removed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.