Mac Comes out of Screensaver to Login prompt with no Mouse or Keyboard Input...why?

Reaction score
I'm running Mac OS X version 10.5.8

For no apparent reason, or any way to predict when it will happen, my Mac comes out of screensaver mode and the authentication prompt appears. This is with no movement of the mouse, no keyboard input and nothing else going on that I can think of, that would cause it.

Any suggestions of what to check and/or try to stop this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Perhaps in the Energy Saver preferences, you have the option enabled for "Wake for Ethernet network access", and there's some sort of network activity waking your system up (even if it isn't really asleep yet)?

Reaction score
Another fairly obvious cause might be a faulty mouse.
Try another mouse, if its a laptop try setting it to disable trackpad when a mouse is connected and connecting a mouse.

OP
S
Reaction score
I disabled the wake and network administrator access...I'll see how that works. I doubt the mouse is faulty, but I won't rule it out. I'll try that if the network thing doesn't work.

thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.