Used Bluetooth now Airport doesn't work???

Reaction score
I never had a problem connecting wirelessly thru Airport. A friend tried to hook my computer up thru Blurtooth yesterday to the internet on their phone and now today I cannot connect via Airport. Bluetooth is disabled. Airport is on. i even went into Library-preferences-system and deleted network info. Tried to start fresh with Airport and got nothing... won't even detect wireless networks. I have an older MAC using OSX 10.5 Tiger. Any help is appreciated... I am a newer MAC user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What do you have under networks? I have setup bluetooth dun with the Mac and didn't have a problem switching back. Can you take screen shots to show what is set?

Cmd-Shift-4 then spacebar to take a picture of the window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4GHz i5 OS X 10.6.3
Nevermind...just saw where you stated the BT is disabled.

OP
L
Reaction score
When restarting the computer bluetooth automaically turns on. i turn it off but could this be causing a problem. even once it's turned off when i open internet connect it list as "idle" under bluetooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could try adding another user - but if what your friend did is for all users then it isn't going to help.

You can also check to see if there is anything being started at login that has to do with bluetooth. Generally speaking bluetooth will start in the state you left it so if it is off - when you reboot it should stay off. Check System Preferences -> Accounts -> Your Account -> Login Items and see if there is any DUN or Bluetooth type thing there.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok so I am connected to the internet via cord and it's working fine. Just no wireless. Bluetooth still comes on when I start the computer...nothing in system pref. I made a boo boo yesterday when I deleted some of the bluetooth stuff in library preferences. Because now when I click on the bluetooth icon on the status bar for bluetooth preference, nothing opens. I would just like to get rid of bluetooth all together as this seems to be the problem. Or if there is an easier solution I'm all ears. Bluetooth still lists as "idle" in internet connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could - in network preferences delete the bluetooth dun. Just select the bluetooth dun and click the - (minus sign) at the bottom.

If you are having trouble with bluetooth you may want to do a restore - from your time machine backup. If important stuff is missing it could cause problems in getting stuff setup/fixed.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have an old Mac notebook and cannot find anything called time machine. The laptop was given to me so I do not have any disks. And because I messed with and deleted some of the bluetooth stuff it no longer shows in sys pref. But it sure turns right on when I start the computer. I don't know what to do. I don't know enough about MAC to figure out how to fix this. Note to self though... do not let people mess with your computer... nothing was wrong before they messed with it. Grrrrrrr. HELP!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.