Advice for Buying New Laptop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm graduating college this semester and was thinking of making use of my education discount while I still can. There are two options I'm thinking of...one a 13" MacBook and the other a 13" MBP. Here are the specs:

MacBook Aluminum 13.3" - Late 2008
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB DDR3
250GB
$1,099.00

Macbook Pro 13.3" - Mid 2009
2.53 GHz
4GB DDR3
250GB
$1464.21

The MacBook is a lot cheaper than the MBP. How much of a difference will it be from 2GB to 4GB? And are there other things except for the battery life that makes the MBP worth it? Pretty much what am I paying the extra $450 for?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Don't worry about the 2gig of ram on the MacBook. Ram is easily upgradeable , inexpensive, and 2 gig will be fine to do most things (internet, e-mail, etc.). Hard drives are easy to upgrade as well.

I'm assuming both of these laptops are brand new. If so, where the heck are you buying a brand new 2008 MacBook?...you're university store?

By the way...you could also consider this refurbished MacBook from the Apple Store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC207LL/A?mco=MTU5MjkwMjk

It's only $849...maybe your student discount will also be applicable....bringing the price down further. This laptop has a slightly slower 2.26 processor then the 2.4ghz & 2.53ghz in the two choices you listed...but it may not be a noticeable difference.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the advice. Yeah by university bookstore has the MacBook in stock still. I'll look into the refurbished one. I was thinking of waiting till the iPod special is on again and then using that plus my student discount to grab a new one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was thinking of waiting till the iPod special is on again and then using that plus my student discount to grab a new one.

From what I remember...if there is an "iPod Special", it usually starts sometime in the Summer & ends in early to mid-September. So if you're graduating this semester...you may not qualify.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.