Data transfer to external HD is less then .5 mb/s????

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm using a Macbook (intel) from about 3 years ago, and I have a newer seagate external HD (mac compatible) hooked up to it. I've done a lot of big file transfers between the two, but today, I'm moving my Aperture library (60 gigs) to the external and it transfers really fast at first, but then right around 330 mb transfered, it slows down to a crawl. It's currently saying over 40 hours to finish 60 gigs. Everything is USB 2.0, the external is hooked straight into the laptop, everything is plugged in, and I'm running OSX 10.5.8. I've tried restarting and nothing works. I have about 10 gigs left on my macbook and need that extra 60, but can't afford to wait close to 50 hours. When I watch the data read/write in the activity monitor, it's just cruising a long, and then it just cuts the read to around 600 kb/s. I have nothing else running at the time. Every time I cancel the transfer and restart, it cranks right until I hit about 330 mb transfered, in which every thing just comes to a crawl.

Any thoughts?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.