Accidently deleted the "Mac HD" icon from the desktop

Reaction score
I accidently deleted the Macintosh HD icon from the desktop and when trying to drag the same icon in the Finder window, and drop it onto the desktop to put it back, that disappeared too! How do i find it again to put it back on the desktop and the left column of the finder window? I know i can still access my info by clicking on the finder icon in the dock, but I'm just used to having it on the desktop.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try clicking on Finder up in the bar and on preferences. Check the Pic below.

Click on the General Tab and be sure there is a check mark by Hard disks.

Let us know if that works.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
Open Finder Preferences (⌘,) when a Finder window or the desktop has the focus. On the General page, make sure Hard Disks has a check mark next to it. If it is already checked, uncheck it and then recheck it. The Macintosh HD icon should return to your desktop.

To get it back on the sidebar, open a Finder window and right click on the small icon at the very top of the window that shows the folder name. From the list, choose the name of your computer and you should now see all the drives attached to your system. Just drag the Macintosh HD icon back to the sidebar.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I accidently deleted the Macintosh HD icon from the desktop...

How? When I drag mine to the Trash, the Trash icon changes to an Eject icon. I'm too chicken to release.

"How do i find it again to put it back (in the) left column of the finder window?"
Finder > Preferences > Sidebar > Devices... check it

OP
D
Reaction score
Im not sure how it disappeared off the desktop, so i thought that since you can drag folders to the desktop from the finder menu i thought i could just drag the HD icon from there as well and thats when that disappeared. It worked and now I'm back on track! thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OK, but...

"folders... from the finder menu"? I think you mean finder window.

What worked? ...to get you "back on track" that is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.