• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

More proof MS just does not get it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
MacDailyNews - Microsoft unveils 'Kin One' and 'Kin Two' phones for kids

MS released these phones just recently.

100412_msft_kin.jpg

What ugly phones. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Holy cr@p batman ! Those things miss the mark in every way possible ! First off, I doubt a tech savvy teen will ever look at a MS branded phone and say: "ooh... gotta have the newest MS phone ! It must be tons better than the already proven Android line or the iPhone!"

What are they thinking ?

UGH.

Doug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They are thinking big bucks obviously and they will sell. This is what marketing is about - bring your product to the market place at a reasonable price and folk will fork out. Imagine dyed in the wool Microsoft users will fork out the same as some Apple people do for the latest must have!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
MS always thinks big bucks, but they don't know how to market their own products, even if they happen to be good. Take for example the Zune. Much better music player than the iPod, but the only people who care about that are people whom are actually really into good audio quality, or silly people who just refuse to buy an Apple product and would rather use the word Microsoft in the same sentence as Apple in order to appear different or cool.

But let's be realistic for a moment. Where is the market for these outdated looking phones ? Do they run the not yet released, new Win Mobile7 OS ? And if so, where's all the hype that it needs ? You'd think that MS would be smart for a change and would follow Apple's lead by not letting new products leak, and would rather have official sources do the PR with much fanfare...

They've learned NOTHING. And as such, will deservedly remain under the radar with such mediocre things such as these ugly and outdated/big phones.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
LOL ....they look like fancy garage door controllers that come with sunglasses cases :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The sad part is, my oldest daughter, who is 20, would probably buy one of those. This may seem like a joke but I almost bet that MS may have a hit in the "clueless" segment of the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Oh. My. God. What is that?

What was MS thinking? Were they picking their nose the whole "several years" that they were working on it? I mean really. I must admit, my G1 looks better than. . . whatever it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Double post, sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 13" MacBook Air w/ 1.8GHz i7 & 4GB, iPhone 5S 32GB Gold
In regards to the Kin One; Palm Pre, anyone?

When I heard about these a while ago with MS being all super secret about them, I thought they would be some Snapdragon beasts running WM7. Forgot it was Microsoft I was thinking of...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like you baggss, believe this will be a winner. You can bet all the market research and pre-release publicity will see to this.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The sad part is, my oldest daughter, who is 20, would probably buy one of those. This may seem like a joke but I almost bet that MS may have a hit in the "clueless" segment of the market.

Yes the clueless or people to dumb to know there is any better out there. Well it seemns it's our job to educate them in the ways of the world. And tell them there is better out there, especially better phones. As not to waste their money on this junk.

I feel MS doing this is not MS winning. I think it is us losing because we are not active enough in our "Others have better phones and products".

And I said this ages ago on these forums but I'll say it again.
Apple have to better then someone, so it might as well me MS. Well MS and all the others too :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the clueless or people to dumb to know there is any better out there. Well it seemns it's our job to educate them in the ways of the world. And tell them there is better out there, especially better phones. As not to waste their money on this junk.

[philosophical point]I don't disagree entirely, but I don't think it's my job, or even my hobby, to educate or inform those who choose not to be. Some people just have to be stupid for a while before they get it and some people are just stupid their whole lives. Such is life.[/philosophical point]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Meh... different strokes for different folks. Personally, when I first saw Apple's wireless keyboard (the most current model), I thought it was a hoax. When it was released, I thought "I'll never buy that!". I have always liked big, clunky keyboards with a lot of tactile feedback.

But then, I sat down at an Apple Store while I was waiting for a spot to open at the "Genius Bar". Logged into my company's Citrix farm and was typing away on one of the wired versions of the keyboard. 15 minutes later and I was hooked. I ended up walking out with a wireless one that same day ;)

Anyway, all of that was meant to say "don't judge a book by its cover". And the same goes for the phones. Sure, thus far MS's attempts at smartphones have been clunky at best, but do remember that these are evolutions of the Sidekick, which was very popular back in the day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And just because it is branded Microsoft does not make it a bad product. Have used Microsoft keyboards, mice etc and they do make very nice products which do sell and that is the bottom line in the market place.

C

chas_m

They are thinking big bucks obviously and they will sell.

Uh yeah ... like the way the Zune was such a huge hit for them. ;D

Just because Microsoft brings out a product doesn't mean its an instant hit. For every one "XBox" (which incidentally lost TONS of money for YEARS before finally turning a profit), there are three "Surface" type debacles with that company.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Uh yeah ... like the way the Zune was such a huge hit for them. ;D

Just because Microsoft brings out a product doesn't mean its an instant hit. For every one "XBox" (which incidentally lost TONS of money for YEARS before finally turning a profit), there are three "Surface" type debacles with that company.

While I don't disagree with that statement, harry is right. MS does make some good products. I'm a satisfied X-Box user myself. On top of that some of the best keyboards and mice i've ever used have come from MS. My last Trackball was an MS trackball and it lasted something like 6 or 7 years (I'm lucky if I can get 2 out of the logitech equivalents at work that don't get as much use) and I replaced it with anotherone just like it. Their keyboards have always been quite outstanding in my opinion.

Yeah, the Zune sucks....

C

chas_m

While I don't disagree with that statement, harry is right. MS does make some good products.

That was actually the point I was trying to make -- MS *does* make some very worthwhile products, but just because the name MS is on something does *not* guarantee it will be a hit. Harry seemed to be saying that if MS makes phones then by extension the MS phone will be massively popular like the iPhone is.

I think the Zune experiment showed pretty conclusively that this assumption just isn't true. But MS continues to do well with other, better products -- indeed (and ironically), the places where MS tends to do best is in those few areas where they don't just set out to rip off other people's designs/ideas.

How I wish someone at MS had that level of insight ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pho\nes? Phones? Did not mention and never have owned a mobile phone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.