No border around thumbnail....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
There's a white border around all of the thumbnails in this folder EXCEPT the aurora borealis one. They're all the same resolution (1280x800), why does that one look different?

asdfxy.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The ones with the white border are previews that OS X generates. The one without a border has a custom icon generated by some application, like Graphic Converter for example, and that overrides the one OS X makes.

If you want a white border on that, right-click, hit Get Info, single-click on the icon in the corner, and press delete. You'll then see a generic system icon, like what you should see now using Get Info on the other pics. After a couple seconds, OS X will automatically rebuild the icon preview in the Finder window.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9400M
Thanks, that makes sense now.

I would never have thought of someone doing that, it seems so pointless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks, that makes sense now.

I would never have thought of someone doing that, it seems so pointless.

Well it seems pointless now, but then OS X hasn't always generated thumbnail previews of pictures on its own. I want to say this first came about with Leopard, so before then, you'd only have a generic icon without the help of 3rd-party apps making the custom ones. Personally, I prefer 'em without the white border.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.