• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple confirmed to move to x86 with Intel!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (1G)/ 1.42 GHz PPC / 512MB Crucial RAM / 80 GB HDD / 160GB LaCie mini
Apple embraces x86 and Intel

AppleInsider WWDC 2005 Live Coverage said:
INTEL RUMORS TRUE: Jobs says there have been two major transitions for Mac: 68K to PowerPC and then Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Now it's time for third transition to Intel-based Macs. Developers will begin to make the transition now. While users can begin to switch next year. Apple is making the move "because we want to make the best computers for our customers."

Wanted to be the first one to post this thread. WOW! Didn't think it would happen, but it did. A milestone for the Macintosh. And Apple. I'm in a loss for words, live coverage at http://appleinsider.com/wwdc2005.php

All I'm saying is this: I'm backing Apple on this. I'm sure they know what they're doing. But WOW!!

Reaction score
It is disappointing that we'll have to wait a year before we see the new systems. I don't need to buy a system but I have been looking at a PB, I think I'll definantly wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
The programs will run on both and it sounds like it will run on both for years and years to come.. so I wouldn't wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Welcome to Bizzarro world.

Now, the real questions begin. How fast will Rosetta run PowerPC apps? Will Apple use AMD processors as well? How long, in specific terms, will OS X be released for PowerPC systems?

The idea of Pentium-M PowerBooks is exciting, but personally, I'm glad I won't have to worry about that for some time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah exactly. I think they are going to continue with IBM for a little while.. and you can purchase Intel or IBM.. I am just not sure.. crazy stuff :)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Going by what I just read from the real(ish)-time updates I reckon I was right, I reckon IBM told Apple to bugger off. This sounds less like a well thought out transition and more like shutting the barn door after the entire herd has bolted!

I feel for the developers, they are in for a tough time!

It also looks like I've bought my last Mac, Linux on AMD probably will be my next machine. :eek:neye:

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*rofl* no kidding, but then again that was quite awhile ago wasn't it? If they did some real time specs on current machines, would they be different? They are going to support PowerPC for a long time to come.. I just do not understand how this will not start a buying freeze though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
*rofl* no kidding, but then again that was quite awhile ago wasn't it? ...

2.7 Ghz Dual G5 Versus Twin 3.6 Ghz Xeon, couldn't have been that long ago!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I was hoping you would respond, since I know you know your stuff, especially in this area.. I definitely do not :) Im a software man, I have very few skills and knowledge when it comes to the hardware :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I wonder how Apple stock will fare now.

M

meltbanana314

Amen-Moses said:
It also looks like I've bought my last Mac, Linux on AMD probably will be my next machine. :eek:neye:

Ditto.

I'm never buying another Apple product again.

K

Kokopelli

Well from what I have been reading on the sites reporting on the Keynote there will be a development environment on Intel available starting next week. If the dev platform is powerful enough and reasonably priced (fat chance) I will pick one up for the heck of it.

It will be some interesting times ahead though.

EDIT: I love Linux, but usability is not as good as OS X on the desktop. What is your major objection to Intel, having not seen any benchmarks for OS X on the platform yet?

Reaction score
Currently there are no dual Pentium 4 systems... I wonder what the High-end apples based on intel will be...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
rman said:
I wonder how Apple stock will fare now.

Up .06 at 1:30 pm CDT. Volume is actually below average for the day, so not an extraordinary amount of people are buying or selling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kokopelli said:
EDIT: I love Linux, but usability is not as good as OS X on the desktop. What is your major objection to Intel, having not seen any benchmarks for OS X on the platform yet?

Mine is lack of innovation, I have always had machinery that is streets ahead of comparable Intel stuff and now for the first time in over 20 years it looks like there is no alternative left. AMD basically just follows along in Intels wake making slightly better versions of Intel architecture so unless they do something truly innovative I'm left behind with the rest of the herd.

Oh well, I'll just have to learn how to go Baaa I suppose. :p

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I havent heard anybody ask where the future of 64 bit computing is headed. that was the realy advantage of a g5 if you ask me.

K

Kokopelli

By 06 Dualcore PIVs will be well under way. Even if it falls behind though a 1.8GHz Pentium-M is similar in performance to a 1.4GHz PPC. (Slower in some things but overall comparable based on "eyeball" Linux performance.) So for the lowe end it is a safe bet that Intel can be put in place without going backwards in performance.

EDIT: I am not sure what Intels 64bit strategy is anymore. It is a good point though. I used to keep track but all the variations of CPUs (90% of which I will never use) do not seem worth following.

The follow on is that PPC was not ever really "cuting edge" it was "different." That is not to say it is not a good computing platform. (I have 2x2 P-Series right behind me at the moment.) But PPC is just a platform, not a religion. Sometimes they are ahead, sometimes they are behind. I find it ironic that Apple is moving to Intel at probably one of the low points in Intel's CPU strategy. They have had a couple of significant failures and stumbles recently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.