Desktop crashing and restarting any time I click on it

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this problem. First of all, when I start my computer, it will take five to ten minutes for my desktop screen to load, although the application bar at the bottom loads fine and I can start accessing applications right away.

Secondly, any time I click on my desktop while I have an application open, the finder will crash, my desktop will disappear and it will take about ten minutes for it to load again.

And any time I close all applications so that only the finder is open, it will crash and take about ten minutes to reload.

Can someone help me with this problem?

I'm using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forumns.

Whart type of machine are you running as your avatar does not provide this information? First up go into System Preference and see what Log In items are shown as that is way too long.

Next pop in disc one of the original install discs and run Apple Hardware Test. This will examine the drive, logic board, memory and graphics.

OP
U
Reaction score
aptness and

Sorry. My processor is 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo and my Memory is 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I actually don't have the original install discs, I put them in storage when I had to move last year, is there anything else I can do?

OP
U
Reaction score
My login items are:

ITunes Helper

CNQL3202 Button Manager

Microsoft AU Daemon

Adobe Resource Synchronizer

Speech Synthesis Server

HOMERunner (for Tom Tom GPS)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Delete them all from Log In Items and watch for a dramatic improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I actually don't have the original install discs, I put them in storage when I had to move last year...
If deleting those login items doesn't help, go get the discs!

First, you could try replacing the Desktop's plist file, although it might not be the culprit, it won't hurt to try it.

The path to it is:

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

Place the file on the Desktop, if you can. Place it in the Trash if that fails.
Restart the computer. This will make a "fresh" default plist file in the original location.
It's safe to empty the Trash, but you can get that file out and put it back if you don't want to reset customized preferences, if you had any.
Of course, if that fixes the problem, you don't want that old file anyway.

OP
U
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't responded, I was out of town. It looks like both those tips fixed it! Thanks a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.