New Macbook Pro Has Annoying Click Sound

UTS

Reaction score
Just started using a brand new macbook pro MC226B/A and every 90 secs or so i get this annoying click sound. I am totally familar with computer sounds be it fans or hds but this is not right. dodgy hd ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What side of the MBP is the clicking sound emanating from ? And is the clicking in multiples or is it a single click ? Is it followed by any other noise ? Could be the HD arm parking, but I'll admit that I've never heard any clicking noise coming from my new MBP.

Doug

OP
U

UTS

Reaction score
Its coming from the left of the trackpad and is one click/ping every 90secs or shorter. I have since found on the main discussion apple forum this has been a major problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I find this interesting because it sounds similar to the sound I hear on my 15" 2008 (July) Aluminum MacBook Pro. I'd describe the sound almost like a bug that was hitting a bug sized ping pong ball, like you say ...every minute or minute and a half or so.

I've heard this going on far longer than I can remember, but should note that I've had this logic board replaced not too long ago due to a sort of connection malfunction which caused the battery not to charge, eventually. I hear the sound before the replacement, and continue to hear it, but am not sure if it's an actual "problem" per say. It can be a bit of a nuisance if you don't tune it out, but other than that I'd be wary of calling it a major problem unless it is underlying a diagnostic sign of failure somewhere.

Can you link me to the Apple support thread where people are discussing this please ?

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.