Wipe MBA without instalation CD's

Reaction score
Guys,
I am on an oil rig and have just sold my MBA to one of my buddies, I want to wipe it before I give it to him but I do not have any of the instalation CD's with me and he wants to take it before I go home.................... is there a way I can do that and send him the instalation CD's later???
Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Not possible, so the best you can do is to set up a new admin account for him with what you want in it, and delete your old one.
(It is possible, but it would take countless hours)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Err, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can do this in Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Yeah but No...
You can't delete the partition you are booted from, and even if you could, without the installation disc to install an OS, it would be a Mac without an OS, and there'd be no way to boot it as it would have no bootable partition.
I know you know that Kevriano, so I'm guessing that either you misread the post, or you know something that I don't know in regards to this.

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Not possible, so the best you can do is to set up a new admin account for him with what you want in it, and delete your old one.
(It is possible, but it would take countless hours)
So please correct me if I am wrong but what you are saying is;
1/. Create a new logon say "Darrel" and in that should have a empty itunes, mail, imovie etc, etc.
Then go into my logon and then delete everything i.e. go into itunes and delete all my music and movies, and the same in mail, imovie etc, etc
and last but not least secure delete the trash .......................or go to my logon and hit the minus sign and delete my account?
Which way is the best way????

I can mail him the instalation CD's and he can do the fresh install later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Create the new admin account.
Log out of yours and into the new one to make sure it is what you want.
Then, you can go ahead and hit that minus sign and you are good to go (you'll get the prompts to trash it).
Just need to be sure to give your friend the password.
Once you give him the install disc, he can start from scratch.
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Deleting a user account

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Create the new admin account.
Log out of yours and into the new one to make sure it is what you want.
Then, you can go ahead and hit that minus sign and you are good to go (you'll get the prompts to trash it).
Just need to be sure to give your friend the password.
Once you give him the install disc, he can start from scratch.
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Deleting a user account

Thanks man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pleasure.... meet me at your other post and fill me in :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Thanks man
Note that anything stored outside of your /Mac HD/Users/YourUser folder will not be deleted. Applications, for instance, will remained installed and if they store their data globally, instead of in the user's library folder, some of your settings and data might be retained.

Shouldn't be the case for most apps, but just a heads-up in case you have really sensitive stuff on there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.